First attempt at door panels

4Eyedturd

Well Known Member

Off to a decent start on door panels besides the shitty lines. I’m gonna use carpet on the lower section and separate the vinyl and carpet with some trim. The part I’m not sure about is the edge of the carpet section and how to finish it or just roll it under the edge. Maybe make some kind of welting? Any suggestions?

4Eyedturd

Well Known Member
Been slowly picking away at the door panels. I had intentions of using screwing the panel at each location the plastic retainers are in the door but after seeing the door panel I’m second guessing it. I’m looking for opinions or advice if I should try to find the original style door panel retainer setup and use it because I’m not sure what was original or just use the screws I have.

The driver panel mostly done and the screws I picked up 2 years ago for this project

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
You can buy the metal edge bands with the nails for doors and rear 1/4s.
I bought a set - worked great - they are crimped to the edge of the door boards and will match the factory
plastic sleeves .
I would not use the Philips screws with washers in your pictures they will detract from the look of your panels.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The screws were only used on the bottom edge of the panels on the doors( 4 places) - buy drilling new holes
Don’t try to match the original screw holes just miss the factory drilled holes when you drill the 4 new holes for your screws.

4Eyedturd

Well Known Member
Thanks Paul, I found the edge pins and plastic catches. The problem with that now is I didn’t plan it that way and how I cut the backing board and wrapped the panel I’d have to pull it apart and cut them to size since they fit on the edge.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The metal door edge bands I am referring to are straight metal edges with nails that match your straight vertical edges
on the front and back edges of your panels

they are not individual pins

you just pull the the door material back and crimp the straight edges to your boards - I had this done to my brand new Ciadella interior factory door panels - then reglued the door material with 3M Spray glue

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here are the metal door edge bands -you don't have to use the bottom of door edge band (it does not have nails)
the front and back ones come with factory nails to match your slots in the doors

New plastic sleeves for oval holes in your doors for the nails on metal edge bands

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Also don't forget these plastic washers that go behind the vent window handles and window handles so handles do not
damage the material on the panels
The vent window handles and window handles have round holes in the panels that are at least 1 inch in diameter

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I love your door panels. I think they look fantastic and I would not use the screws either. They will detract from your look. Nice job.

Last edited:

4Eyedturd

Well Known Member
I love your door panels. I think they look fantastic and I would not use the screws either. They will detract from your look. Nice job.
Thanks! I’ve impressed myself honestly. Finally got to the install and my previous attempt at cleaning and lubing the passenger vent window is biting me in the butt. I botched the removal and install the bottom washer of the regulator and now it keeps popping off. I think I’ve found a replacement regulator locally as long as I don’t fudge it up when cleaning and greasing.