“ Help”on rebuilt 409 engine blowing water out overflow on radiator

Redmanf1

If the water starts running out almost as soon as the engine is started it is getting presser from the combustion chamber. If it is several minutes after it could be from heat. The crack could be showing up after it is heated.. Bottom of cylinder, around valve seat insert maybe cut to deep, ect..

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The block was crack checked after disassembly( one week ago) - it‘s not cracked in the cylinder with the ring scratch.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I had a cylinder wall crack and no water got into the oil. It pressurized the radiator on cold start. had to sleeve it. I also found that if I fill it to the bottom ring of the filler neck...it will push out coolant when its hot. I left it an inch below the ring which seems to be the level it likes. If I fill to top...it will piss it out back down to an inch below. Runs good. Runs reasonably cool at 180 -190. Never pisses if I leave it where it wants to be.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Not having a heater is foolish. The heater is another radiator. You can use it to reduce the temperature in an overheat situation. It also adds to the effective coolant capacity.
Had that happen once. Middle of summer and I was running the heat full blast! Made it home fine. Think my water pump was giving out or something. Happened 20 years ago.

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Paul

Did you try to adjust the timing. My 409/425 also does have the heating problem. When I adjusted the timing the temp got lower, Im also using the 2 core radiator but I will be going to the 3. I ordered a 4 core but it hit my steering box so I either have to have a 4 core notched out or a 3 core that won't touch the box. In addition to changing the timing, I also installed a 6 blade fan out of a 80's 350 and kept the fan clutch. I don't know if anyone has had that same problem I had with the 4 core hitting the steering box? I tried to move the box back but there is virtually no adjustment on my 63 Impala.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I don't need 6 bladed fan, there is cylinder pressure in the water, we will find out this week if its from any specific cylinder.
I have the following 62's with 4 core radiators with my stock steering boxes -frame & steering box the same as your 63.
The radiator support bottom is slid to front of the 2 large frame mounting holes in all these 62's. The steering box does not move. The radiator support and frame horns large round mounting holes are were the clearance is created, to mount the radiator

I never had to worry about timing in any of these cars to keep them cool -all of them with the large 4 core radiators and one aluminum Griffin 409 radiator in # 3

My opinion is that a 2 core does not work with a 409 -even 3 core is not enough. I understand the difference in core sizes inside the radiators - see my Griffin 2 core aluminum radiator that I have in my 62 Impala SS hardtop 409 with the stroker motor(#3).

1. 62 Impala SS convertible 327 /300 HP 700R4 overdrive -has reproduction 4 core radiator -clears steering box by at least 1/8 to 1/4 inch -runs 185 degrees in any driving condition (this is also a factory air convertible) (had this car for 15 years just sold over a year ago.) I added the reproduction 4 core radiator (removing the 2 core factory radiator ). The 409 radiator came from Show Cars in Minnesota and it bolted right into the car -not much clearance but it cleared. Show Cars has been selling these 4 core 409 radiators for 61 to 64's for over 25 years, 20 for sure.
  2. 62 Impala 2 door hardtop 327/300 HP 4 speed -has original 3 core 409 radiator with new 4 core brass core -clears the steering box by 1/4 inch The original 409 radiator straps on this radiator are not mounted correctly -but since it clears the steering box I left the straps not changed - This 62 also runs in any driving conditions at 185 degrees all day long. An example 2 mph driving for a hour around Back To the Fifties loop in St Paul in 2015, 2017 never overheated. The 62 SS convertible under # 1 above did the same 2 mph tour and did not overheat.
  3. 62 impala Hardtop 409/500 HP stroker motor 4 speed (now Richmond 5 speed) -has large two core Griffin aluminum radiator (409 style top and bottom) It has same bottom width as 4 core radiator listed above -clears steering box by 1 inch. This 409 runs under 195 degrees driving in 90 degree weather (just did it in town at 35 mph stop and go local loop night just 2 weeks ago for over a hour) - 185 degrees on highway.
  4. 62 Impala SS 409 convertible -409 stroker motor -has original 3 core 409 radiator with new 4 core brass core -clears steering box by 3/8 inch -has heating problems with cylinder leakage into the cooling system(found before disassembling the motor) that we are checking with motor disassembly and then reassembling then pressure checking every cylinder -did not overheat on the highway ran a number of times at 190 degrees on highway late last summer and this early this spring . Has factory 5 bladed factory fan and NOS factory clutch and the brand new brass core -4 core 409 radiator.
  5. I installed (in 2018) another one of my original 1962 409 radiators(with a new 4 core brass core - in my friends frame off restored 1962 Impala SS 409 convertible -no fit problems with the radiator cleared by at least 1/4 inch maybe 3/8 (its been a few months since I saw his 62 -it was assembled in my garage....) he has not had overheating problems with this 4 core radiator and factory 5 blade fan and new clutch. If he did I would have heard about it.
  6. I sold a 62 Impala 409 -380 HP solid lifter 11 to 1 compression (racing gas motor) 409 4 speed Hardtop about 15 years ago, This frame off restoration had a brand new 4 core radiator in the car and had 1250 miles on it when I sold it -never overheated had factory 5 bladed fan and NOS fan clutch. This car is in New Hampshire (just sold again) 2 years ago. I talked to the new owner just before he sold it no mention of overheating had under 2000 miles on it.
  7. Also note that all the 409 cars # 3 to #6 all have factory 409 fan shrouds. The 2-327's (# 1 & # 2 have small block fan shrouds -the point is that the fans bladed are were they are supposed to be close to the engine side of the fan shrouds
  8. All these 62 cars # 1 to # 5 all have full sweep Stewart Warner water temperature aftermarket gauges to review while driving
(To JayZ ) - I have 3 -409 cars to check the radiator to steering box clearance - with the front end fit on fenders etc no problem - do you need measurements to fit a 4 core radiator ??

Paul

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
What is the procedure they are using to leak check the heads and block???

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Paul. Yes that would be great to check the measurement for me. I believe I have found the problem. Looking down at my radiator support I see it was bent in on the drivers side which made me loose the clearance I needed to clear the 4 core which I believe is 2-5/8” wide.

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Yesterday I drove the car around in 93 degree weather for about an hour with out any spilling out of the overflow still on the 2 core radiator. I’m going to repair the radiator support and install the 4 core just to be safe.