“ Help”on rebuilt 409 engine blowing water out overflow on radiator

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Personally I would have installed both heads and intake. Blocked off waterpump ports and t stat housing and pressurized coolant system. Easier to check a bare block, and do not have to assemble,reassemble while checking. Same difference I suppose.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Sorry for the late posting on what we found on the water overflowing the radiator drain hose after a drive and oil blowing out the breather cap on the front of the intake of my 1962 409 068 block and rebuilt 690 heads at only 150 miles on my frame off restoration.
I was tied up doing Engineering projects. Just told them fix it -I did not want to wait -after my 6 year frame off restoration....

We completely removed the motor disassembled it, re crack checked 068 block and 690 heads -no cracks.
It did not look like the head gaskets were leaking, from my machinest review that he showed me -they apparently were. He found that some of the ARP head bolts were bottoming out in the block, Machine shop fixed this and reassembled. I never thought they could bottom out slightly. Another 409 friend said ARP head bolts on original heads need washers.

For the oil blowing out the breather, about 4-5 of the piston's had the compression rings installed upside down. Also had one broken ring tip, scratched one cylinder about 4 inches. Machine shop was able to polish out the scratch. Installed new rings, bearings all new gaskets -treated head gaskets on one side.

Reassembled block and heads without intake -pressure checked each cylinder to 180 psi with water up to the intake water crossover -zero bubbles in the water (there were bubbles in the water from combustion before the motor was removed -when we ran the motor without the upper hose and thermostat installed..

I have driven the 62 twice seems to be fine no water boil over and no oil intake and oil breather. Its needs another 300 to 500 miles yet before snow...
Actually the engine compartment looks better now than it did when I painted it . My local classic car restoration shop removed and replaced the motor. My original machine shop did all the motor work.
I was also able to switch to a better Richmond 5 speed transmission since the motor was removed.

My original 409 motor assembly was done by a friend who has done 5 motors for me a 57 270 HP -283, a 327/300 HP and 3 - 409s, I finally told him that it happened don't worry -his friendship is worth more than worrying about error's during assembly.

few pictures of the work
motor removed, and on hoist to reinstall, brand new never ran Richmond 5 speed
Car done and engine done (last 2 pictures
Paul

IMG_0067-005.jpgIMG_0069-003.jpgIMG_0134-004.jpgIMG_0135-003.jpgIMG_0136-004.jpgIMG_0139-003.jpgIMG_0037-008.jpgIMG_0039-006.jpg

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry for the late posting on what we found on the water overflowing the radiator drain hose after a drive and oil blowing out the breather cap on the front of the intake of my 1962 409 068 block and rebuilt 690 heads at only 150 miles on my frame off restoration.
I was tied up doing Engineering projects. Just told them fix it -I did not want to wait -after my 6 year frame off restoration....

We completely removed the motor disassembled it, re crack checked 068 block and 690 heads -no cracks.
It did not look like the head gaskets were leaking, from my machinest review that he showed me -they apparently were. He found that some of the ARP head bolts were bottoming out in the block, Machine shop fixed this and reassembled. I never thought they could bottom out slightly. Another 409 friend said ARP head bolts on original heads need washers.

For the oil blowing out the breather, about 4-5 of the piston's had the compression rings installed upside down. Also had one broken ring tip, scratched one cylinder about 4 inches. Machine shop was able to polish out the scratch. Installed new rings, bearings all new gaskets -treated head gaskets on one side.

Reassembled block and heads without intake -pressure checked each cylinder to 180 psi with water up to the intake water crossover -zero bubbles in the water (there were bubbles in the water from combustion before the motor was removed -when we ran the motor without the upper hose and thermostat installed..

I have driven the 62 twice seems to be fine no water boil over and no oil intake and oil breather. Its needs another 300 to 500 miles yet before snow...
Actually the engine compartment looks better now than it did when I painted it . My local classic car restoration shop removed and replaced the motor. My original machine shop did all the motor work.
I was also able to switch to a better Richmond 5 speed transmission since the motor was removed.

My original 409 motor assembly was done by a friend who has done 5 motors for me a 57 270 HP -283, a 327/300 HP and 3 - 409s, I finally told him that it happened don't worry -his friendship is worth more than worrying about error's during assembly.

few pictures of the work
motor removed, and on hoist to reinstall, brand new never ran Richmond 5 speed
Car done and engine done (last 2 pictures
Paul

View attachment 86833View attachment 86834View attachment 86835View attachment 86836View attachment 86837View attachment 86838View attachment 86839View attachment 86840
You'll be pleased with this current outcome and the way it is now running.

Yes, friendships are all to important.
Why did you replace trans?

Gav

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Glad it turned out ok for you, I myself have put 4 different 409's together numerous small blocks, big blocks and rebuild my own 4 speeds but on my last 409 while I was on my 6th piston I realized I had installed the 2nd compression ring upside down also on all the pistons!!!!!!!! You should have heard the names I called myself before I tore it all down and started over.