04 GTO

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Been helping a buddy of mine put a pro charger on an 04 GTO, not really my favorite body style as I think they look like an overgrown Grand Am but I digress. One of those "kit" deals where everything is supposed to fit and bolt right up. You know how that usually works, not so much. Anyway, after putting it together and taking it apart three different times and moving or replacing clutch cylinder, coolant reservoir, computer, etc. etc. I think we are finally close. Have yet to fab up a different air intake tube because the last part of the project that was supposed to fit right in was the air filter. Found out that the K&N air filter that came with the kit was too small and restricted the flow. Manufacturer says a 300 cfm filter is what it needs and K&N says 1000 so the filter has to be relocated also. Go figure.
Anyway, after the last assembly and with a new air filter cobbled on there the car made 583 HP at the wheels, pretty impressive. And 70 horse more than it made the first time with the smaller air filter.
pro charger.jpg
It's fun and can make you pee yourself just a little but quite honestly you can't get the power to the ground anyway.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I remember when there was one down at James’s shop. Had some problems with it and if I remember right some of the parts for that thing were very hard to get. And very pricey. I thought about buying one to play around with but was discouraged by prices and availability of parts. I did get to drive one though and it ran pretty good without a turbo. What is the most trouble free year of GTO?

Last edited:

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
They were built here in Adelaide, there is a lot of info on the Holden Commodore forums about these.
Over here they were called Holden Monaro.

Good info. The coolant reservoir tank he ordered to replace the stock plastic one came from Australia, needed a different tank to make enough room for the air cleaner. Worked fine until we figured out it needed a bigger filter. Now he needs to have a different tank built to allow enough room for the bigger filter and in mock up it looks like the hood will just barely clear the filter. Been trying to figure out a way to move the filter to another location without cutting up the car but just no room.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I was at a car show a few years back an older fellow had a 64 GTO he bought new all original except 4 speed muncie he said car was 2 weeks old he went to leave for work no car, cops found the car later that day only transmission was missing car still looked new

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
That one must have some tweaks besides the boost. I have an 04. Made 285 at the rear wheels bone stock. Computer tuned to remove soem Torque Management "tranny nanny" and run 13.40s on sticky DOTs in good air. It is "Pulse Red" that was supposed to be a 40th Anniversary but they dropped that and it was just a limited edition paint. Bought it in 05 for a deal since most folks new the 05s were getting a 50 HP addition.

Paint started peeling after it was out of warranty the same on the rear seat seams. Pretty decent driver though, and easier to get into parking places than my truck!

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That one must have some tweaks besides the boost. I have an 04. Made 285 at the rear wheels bone stock. Computer tuned to remove soem Torque Management "tranny nanny" and run 13.40s on sticky DOTs in good air. It is "Pulse Red" that was supposed to be a 40th Anniversary but they dropped that and it was just a limited edition paint. Bought it in 05 for a deal since most folks new the 05s were getting a 50 HP addition.

Paint started peeling after it was out of warranty the same on the rear seat seams. Pretty decent driver though, and easier to get into parking places than my truck!

Yes sir it has had a bit of work done to it, trick flow heads, Holley sniper injection, little cam tweak etc. Did about 420 at the wheels before the charger.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Yea the guys pushing lots of HP have to address the rear. I think someone makes a 9" pumpkin conversion. Being an 04 on the lot when the 05s had come out I got a decent deal on it. Got the SAP stuff to get an 05-06 style hood with scoops(GTO has to have scoops). Still have the grills in a box and sold the ricer taller rear SAP rear spoiler.

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
I have one of those with upgrades. Stock LS6 intake manifold and no supercharger, though. It's been a fine car aside from the crappy suspension design; the front is actually worse than the rear.

No need now. Went over to Rod's and full length drive shaft laying on the floor to be installed. Guess he heard the same thing.

The driveshaft won't do anything about the halfshafts. Opposite ends of the differential. Once piece driveshafts occasionally have vibration issues on these cars that the upgraded two-piece ones don't have; kind of the opposite of an X-frame.