097 Duntov cam

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Greg for taking the time to type all that. Alot of good info there. I try and read everything I can about these motors. I agree with the above thread. I do believe the 097 cam is different from the 30-30. They aren't the same. Feel free to correct me, Carmine.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Well, I learned something!! There were more than one cams back then, the 097 cam with the tighter valve lash, and the 30-30 cam which was a replacement cam that came out for later model performance motors. Sounds like there were a lot of different things tried then. Also, it seems that the duntov 097 was not the same as the 30-30 cam. Lots of thinking around during those years. Now what was the GM part number for the 30-30cam?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sealed Power CS113R is an exact duplicate of the GM 3736097 camshaft. But, as noted by Floyd above, it was intended for 283 and 327 engines. I ran one in my old high school 62 327 Impala and loved it. Not super lopey, but the solid lifters sounded like feeding time at the zoo!
I haven't purchased a cam yet, but I'm leaning heavily towards this one as a replacement. Question in re. to lifters, rockers and pushrods. Are all the solid lifters the same size?? Do I need anything special?? I would certainly want a quality brand. Suggestions?? As for the pushrods, I think I'm going to let the machinist measure for the proper length. Good idea or not?? Stock rockers?? Again, quality brand. Thanks, Carmine.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Chevrolet uses the same size lifter in all it's v8 engines[.842].There are lifters that provide extra oiling to the cam surfaces using "edm" holes[like Dave mentioned] or slots,and those are the ones that you want here.Almost all major brands[Comp,Lunati,Crower,Howards,ect.] offer such products that will serve you well.Pushrods should only be ordered AFTER all deck milling,head milling,the head gaskets selected,,installed and torqued to spec.so yes good idea there Carmine.As to rockers,my preferrence is for a quality roller rocker arm,although the relatively low spring pressure that you would run with a small cam like the 097 would allow something like some of the "Cryo" treated stock stamped rockers.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Mike,Are you confusing the 097 with the 30-30 cam? These are two different camshafts.The 097 was designed for the 283's and should work well with a 265.The 30-30 was designed for the 327 and yes that cam would be a dog at the lower end of the powerband if used in a 265.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Still looking to gather some parts eventually for my build. I'm finding pretty much everything I need. One thing that confuses me is the valve spring retainer by Sealed Power part #VSR7000R. Summit has them for $9.00 each. This would cost $144.00 for 16. If I need them I'll buy them, but this seems like alot. I couldn't find that part # anyplace else. Anywhere else I could look? Thanks, Carmine.

Disregard this thread. I found some at NAPA. Thanks.

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Doesn't sound right for the retainers, a generic Comp is around $53 a set. 742-16
I thought they were expensive myself. I got that part number from a machinist yesterday, who I visited. Maybe I copied it wrong?? At least I hope I did. I'm trying to keep as many parts as possible with the same manufacturer if I can. The valve springs I'm looking at are Sealed Power VS-739R. I was trying to match up the retainers to them.
I had a nice visit with the machinist yesterday. He told me he just finished rebuilding a stock 265 for a customer. I explained to him some of the things I want done to the engine, that I learned here, and he was on board with everything. He already knew what I was explaining. Told him I would bring him the engine some time after Sept. 10th, after I bring it home and tear it down in my garage. I told him I was in no great rush and he said I could probably have it back in February. I hope it goes more into late Spring, Carmine.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Carmine,when you get it home measure EVERYTHING as you year it down and write it down for your builder to use.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Will do Don. I’m also going to photograph everything as I go along. I want a permanent record of what I’m doing. Might also shoot some video. Going to ask to be at the shop as the assembly process begins. Would like to document that too. Definitely be there when the engine is first started on the dyno. Hope to post some pics and video here, Carmine.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Mike,Are you confusing the 097 with the 30-30 cam? These are two different camshafts.The 097 was designed for the 283's and should work well with a 265.The 30-30 was designed for the 327 and yes that cam would be a dog at the lower end of the powerband if used in a 265.

Aah yes remember those cams well! Back many years ago we would only use those Chevy cams until we tried a few TRW blueprint cams in 350’s. Those “Duntov” cams sure had the fathead Ray cadence!
Here is an interesting article on the history
https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/cam-valvetrain/duntov-small-block-camshaft/
Robert

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Carter didn't release the AFB until '57. Four barrels available in '56 would have been 4gc Rockesters or WCFBs which is what the '56-'62 dual quad chevy intake mounted. A real '56 dual quad WCFB is a very rare carb the laters years not so much. Look alikes can be made up pretty easily from carbs available on ebay because the correct throttle shafts and arms are avaible for about $100 for the pair. If you are thinking you may go dual quad at some point just put one of those carbs on your single quad intake and use it later as one of the two dual quad carbs.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
For the time being, I'm going to go with a single '64 AFB on a '66 327/300 intake. I look at this stuff all the time, so I never know what I might buy next. I can't rule out a dual quad intake in the future, but not right now. Thanks for that info, Carmine.