098 cam shaft

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Can anyone out there tell me the specifications of the old 098 Chevy cam (lift-duration-ect). We are restoring a 61 Vett and want to make it as close to stock as possible. Does Isky or Crane make a replacement ? :? Thanks guys!

W Head

59 El Camino 348 3-2s
59 Impala 409 2-4s

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This is better known as the 097 (for the part number used when ordering this cam from your local Chevy dealer back in the day) or Duntov cam. I found this site that lists this as a regrind (they DO use the 098 number, which is the casting number) but they list it as "hyd", so beware:http://www.perfectengine.com/camshafts.html

Also, other info I found lists it at 106 degree lobe seperation. Another source gives intake lift as .394 and exhaust lift as .400 with duration of 287 on both, not enough info to have one ground though.

SteveD

Firepower354

Well Known Member
While I understand and appreciate the desire to make it "stock", even the crayon mark nazis at NCRS won't know if you've got a cam in there with 40+ years newer technology. I'm not trying to berate the restoration end of the enthusiast crowd, but a little modermization in secret won't hurt. The early GM stuff had slow ramps to ease the load on lame valvespring metals and too much duration crutched by wide lobe centers to make them idle. A modern Comp Cams XE242 or 246 or a 270S if you gotta lash your own valves will still give the same "musclecar sound" and add big time hp across the rev band and better drivability. We've come a long way. Even the Amish use rolled TP.

I practice what I preach: I'm building another copy of my '69 350/300 SS Camaro engine to sell. 388 inches, moderate porting, intake and exhaust manifold mods, hydraulic roller, coatings, etc. The first one made 405 rear wheel horsepower on pump gas, idled at 750 rpm, and looked like it rolled off the showroom floor in the fall of '68.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12

Firepower354 said:
While I understand and appreciate the desire to make it "stock", even the crayon mark nazis at NCRS won't know if you've got a cam in there with 40+ years newer technology. I'm not trying to berate the restoration end of the enthusiast crowd, but a little modermization in secret won't hurt. The early GM stuff had slow ramps to ease the load on lame valvespring metals and too much duration crutched by wide lobe centers to make them idle. A modern Comp Cams XE242 or 246 or a 270S if you gotta lash your own valves will still give the same "musclecar sound" and add big time hp across the rev band and better drivability. We've come a long way. Even the Amish use rolled TP.

I practice what I preach: I'm building another copy of my '69 350/300 SS Camaro engine to sell. 388 inches, moderate porting, intake and exhaust manifold mods, hydraulic roller, coatings, etc. The first one made 405 rear wheel horsepower on pump gas, idled at 750 rpm, and looked like it rolled off the showroom floor in the fall of '68.

Just trying to give the customer with the big $$$$ what he has specified. Wants the exact car he had in high school.

W Head

59 El Camino 348, 3-2s
59 Impala 409, 2-4s