1/4 mile times

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
61 Impala with 62 409/409, 7” worn out slicks in 1964 ran low 13’s all day long. Then those pesky valve springs/valves did that float thing cracked almost each week, broke rocker arms, pushrods and other assorted stuff.

My biggest challenge was lack of traction!! I never remembered anything but a rolling start then jump all over it!!! Up until ‘65 I think we had flag men.
Anyway, I always wondered what a stock one with good tires would really do!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I built a 265 for a guy, novice, he decided one day to shift at I think about 45,000 RPM or something like that!!

I bet if I went out to where that track used to be, now a housing addition, take a metal detector I could still find sh_t everywhere!!!

I think all that was left was the decal off the oil filter canister!!

heddrik

Well Known Member
I built a 265 for a guy, novice, he decided one day to shift at I think about 45,000 RPM or something like that!!

I bet if I went out to where that track used to be, now a housing addition, take a metal detector I could still find sh_t everywhere!!!

I think all that was left was the decal off the oil filter canister!!
. Green Valley, yes nothing but houses sadly. I have a metal detector!

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Never ran mine at Green Valley just Dallas International but watched a lot of races at Green Valley. The cheater slicks hooked pretty decent and the aluminum flywheel did not hit things too hard. Well except the time on the street with teh 5000 side step and the pumpkin I had bought had a ring gear spacer plate! Ripped out all the ring gear bolts in front of my friend's house.