10 Bolt Pinion Sealing Question

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Getting ready to install a new pinion seal in my original 10 bolt 3rd member housing. Question: can I lightly coat the outer metal flange of the seal with rtv for a better/positive seal?

The pinion itself is in good condition with no grooves in the wear area so that’s a positive!A9F5C2AF-B402-4CD7-AA94-BC4EE8D655C6.jpeg

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I use white liquid Teflon, but silicone will work. I also coat the inside of the yolk with sealer. I have had gear lube wick past the splines and pinion nut and cause a leak. I hate leaks.

Yep, I heard about gear lube wicking past the splines as well. I’ll put liquid Teflon or permatex there too.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Why not use the seal that has bore tite already on it? I believe National and CR (SKF) brands do.

Neither SKF pn# 17727 or CR pn# 6818 have bore tite sealant factory applied to the outer bore. The seal I bought is a Timken pn# 6818 and it too has no outer factory sealant applied.

I agree, it would have helped, but none of the pinion seals in this size are coated.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Neither SKF pn# 17727 or CR pn# 6818 have bore tite sealant factory applied to the outer bore. The seal I bought is a Timken pn# 6818 and it too has no outer factory sealant applied.

I agree, it would have helped, but none of the pinion seals in this size are coated.
I stand corrected. Halomar is what you want as stated earlier by ISHIFTEM.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I stand corrected. Halomar is what you want as stated earlier by ISHIFTEM.

No biggie! I looked all over, but everyone seems to be going away from a sealant coating. I will look into the Halomar, but I just finished up installing with Permatex #2 on the outer race and splines, and sealing the nut itself with Teflon paste.

I may have overkilled it, but I don’t want to do it over in a few months!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
In my experiance the seals if properly installed rarely leak.I usually install the seal,seat the yoke,then lay a bead of sealer in the groove for the washer filling that area,install washer and pinion nut.It has always worked for me.

tenxal

Well Known Member
I used to use whatever silicone I had laying around in the shop, but I've changed to Permatex 81182 Gear Oil RTV. The aftermarket ring and pinions and yokes we use on the race cars are all over the place for spline fit....this cured the issue of gear oil creeping around the yoke splines.

This stuff works! :clap