12 RUNS not 10 runs down the 1/8th mile today.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Eddyville Raceway park was a blast today. Just about as many runs as you could possibly handle. Looking forward to next Saturday when I'll do it all over again. My expectation for the day was to learn and I figured out a number of things. I knew I could get it down into the 9's and nearly improved an entire full second over my performance at Tri-State in 2019.. I am upset I didn't make 70mph though, but 69.78mph is pretty close. Best reaction time .0696 and out of 10 runs I did have 2 red lights that were super close. Best run of the day was the very last one so I'll call that a win any day. I was able to make several changes through the day and came up with the best combination I could in the time given. I have so much more to learn and there will be countless changes to come. Next Saturday we do it all over again! Should be fun! I'll get some photos up tomorrow. I'm beat.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
And you didn't break anything....:winner
Didn't so much as raise a tire off the ground! :laugh2 My 60' was 2.07 so no world records broke this round. I was spinning my tires on the first few launches @25psi so I knocked them down to 20psi and put some white marks on the tires to make sure it worked. Problem solved. I was able to foot brake up to 2600rpm which about 200rpm better than I can do on the street. I'm going to crawl under the car and see if anything is trying to come loose. I need to loose the rear bumper so I can fix the tail gate, replace the bad bumper end and get that trailer hitch off. Probably going to get the rear quater panel pulled while I have everything out of the way too. Not sure if I will get it done by next Saturday but its a good goal to shoot for. The Jets I installed (.077 and .083) helped but I still have a bunch of tuning to do. I really just need to hit the chassis dyno and really find where the power might be hiding. I haven't even touched the timing yet and I also didn't get to install my MSD box yet either.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just found 2 more time slips stuffed in my ash tray when cleaning the car out today. LOL! I forgot I didn't want them blowing around in the car at the end of the day when I was making run after run. So I made it to 9.6 in the 1/8th mile which is pretty exciting since my runs at Tri-state had me at 10.5.
20210501_170521.jpg
20210501_124143.jpg
20210501_130809.jpg
20210501_133618_06.jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm thinkin you car is probably heavy enough that you can take off that deflector at the rear.......:winner:winner No traction problems on the big end.. Probably gain a tenth....:flag:burnout
:D Only time that thing will be off is when I paint the roof. This car must be the family car, if its not then I don't have an excuse for a wagon, conv and a 2dr sedan race car. The 63' Impala 2dr hard top is grandfathered in because its my first car. If the HEAVY wagon becomes the race car then I would be dreaming of the 2dr sedans 700lb weight advantage. Besides, the little side air deflectors from the factory are a joke compared to the big wing. It really keeps the air from blowing back inside the wagon when I power the tailgate window down.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Surprised no one caught the picture of the dragster next to me. Here is the picture turned around correctly so you can read it easier. Its non-other than Gary Shearer, the 2020 IHRA Top ET world champion.
His home town track is Eddyville. Its pretty cool knowing you can just walk up to someone local who beat everyone else drag racing just last year. :bow
20210501_130809.jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks like fun times and progress to me!:D:good Randy how far do you live from Eddyville?
DesMoines is just over an hour away South East down hwy 163 to Oskaloosa then go south on 63 and you are there. Its just off Hwy 63 and only 74 miles. I've been to Eddyville countless times my whole life. Some of my earliest memories around two-three years old was running around Eddyville grass pits as my dad helped his buddies with their race cars. My parents probably have pictures of us as kids at the track.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Surprised no one caught the picture of the dragster next to me. Here is the picture turned around correctly so you can read it easier. Its non-other than Gary Shearer, the 2020 IHRA Top ET world champion.
His home town track is Eddyville. Its pretty cool knowing you can just walk up to someone local who beat everyone else drag racing just last year. :bow
View attachment 94415

Didn't Gary used to work at a Chevy dealership in Des Moines?

I was down that way Saturday at Ottowma at a Grandson's tumbling meet.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Should be fun tomorrow. I have a few buddies coming to watch the Space Shuttle launch with me. Looks like the kids are coming too! Here are a couple shots the local track photog took of the wagon last Sat. He says their was a full inch of air under my drivers front tire but he just missed getting a picture of it happening. I'm not one to call someone a liar! :crazy
182423667_206419534403735_8093469029865951154_n.jpg
180425904_283403330122130_1428531108137180062_n.jpg