15 x 7 cragar rims. What tire size to run on our 61 belair 2dr. ???

Marilynbubbletop

Well Known Member
:rub Hey, we have a set of 15 x 7 cragar rims for our 1961 chevy belair 2dr. (Bubble top) Would like to from someone that may have used this combo and what's a good tire size for the 61 belair ?? We used the 2" drop spindles up front and we'll have to remove a coil or two from the rear springs to level the ride out... Normally, we just take the belair down to one of the tires shops, but there's NO wheels or tires and the belair is up on jack stands.. :bang Any input greatly appreciated !! :clap Thx.,
Marilyn & Jim..

Attachments

• 1961 Belair 409 engine installation 011.jpg
    1961 Belair 409 engine installation 011.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 1961 Belair 409 engine installation 021.jpg
    1961 Belair 409 engine installation 021.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 1961 Belair 409 engine installation 020.jpg
    1961 Belair 409 engine installation 020.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 5

61BISCAYNE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hello there fellow '61 owner! When I bought my car it had a set of Eagle Alloys Torque Thrust knock-offs.
They were 15 x 7's. It had 225/65r15 tires all around. They fit with room to spare,
even after installing 2" dropped spindles in front and cutting the front coils for about another 1" drop.
Then I installed 2" drop rear coils to get just a slight rake. The tire size was near perfect in front, but
the rear fenderwells looked kinda naked with a tire that small in my opinion. The 7" width will be a real
limiting factor for a much wider tire. I would think you could go to a 255/60r15 in the rear on the relatively narrow
7" wheel without any problems. Any wider and you could expect to wear the centers pretty quickly.
I have attached a few pics of my car before changing wheels, if they help you.
Danny

Attachments

• side_view.JPG
    side_view.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 19
  • quarter_view.JPG
    quarter_view.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 15
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 16

Marilynbubbletop

Well Known Member
:clap Danny, thank you for the info and the before shot too.. We like the second look after the new paint. We'll have to live w/ the 15x7 Cragars for a little while tho.. Thank you for your input, Jim & Marilyn..

Attachments

• Belair tail lights6.jpg
    Belair tail lights6.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 5
  • Belair Rear antenna3.jpg
    Belair Rear antenna3.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 61 belair cragar.jpg
    61 belair cragar.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 7

Marilynbubbletop

Well Known Member
Dan, Had to replace the rollers & rivets on both rear window frames.. It was an experience w/o the proper rivet tool, but we got her done.. :clap