1911 Colt

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
"Colt 1911"
Colt 1911Owen John Baggett was born in 1920 in Graham, Texas. By 1941 he graduated from college and went on to work on Wall Street, but by the following year, he enlisted in the Army Air Corps (now USAF) when the United States entered the war.
b24-liberator-1024x566.jpg
A studious man, he graduated from pilot training in just five months and was sent to Burma, flying a B-24 Liberator. What happened the following year is one of those stories we just described.On March 31st, 1943, Baggett and his squadron were sent on a mission to destroy a bridge of strategic importance. On their way, the B-24s got intercepted by Japanese Zeros which hit the squadron hard. Baggett's' plane was riddled with bullets to such an extent that the crew was forced to bail out.While parachuting, a Japanese pilot decided that downing the plane wasn't enough. He circled around and started shooting at the bailed out pilots, killing two of the crew. Seeing this, Baggett did the only thing he could. He played dead. Not convinced Baggett was dead, the Zero pulled up to him at near stall speed, the pilot opening his canopy to check on his horrendous work. Not wasting any time and thinking on his feet (no pun intended), Baggett pulled out his pistol and shot the pilot right in the head. This is considered the best shot by a Caliber .45 M911 pistol of ALL TIME.The last thing he saw was the Zero spiraling toward earth.When he landed, he and the other bailed out crew members were captured and sent to a POW camp where they remained till the end of the war. They were liberated by OSS agents and Baggett was recognized as the only person during the war to shoot down a Zero with a pistol. Verification of story. https://en. wikipedia.org/wiki/ Owen_J._Baggett

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
When I had range time in 1967 the Army for the 45. They said if you hit the target twice out of eight, you are a expert marksman. They were so worn out they rattled from side to side.

Dave

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That must explain how I qualified. Always like the 1911 but never really got to fire it much. Our range time was pretty rare.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The first time I shot a 1911 at the range I just pointed and shot. Being 17 and having shot enough I thought. Never hit the target with the whole clip. :doh And it was only a very short range, maybe 50 ft.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I still have my 1975 lightweight commander version and I'm a dead eye with it. Wouldn't want to try it from a parachute though. All the ones I've used have been very accurate.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've owned a few 1911 Colt .45's. Could never hit crap with them, but they were pretty impressive when you looked down the barrel. Out of all my handguns, they were my favorite, Carmine.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I like the Kimber's a lot. Somewhere around 2002 I went to range and just for kicks shot one out of the display case. I have never shot a sweeter 45 in my life. I should have purchased it on the spot, as they have gone up so much.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a 9mm Sig that looks like the 1911 Colt, only smaller. I think it might be the same size as the Kimber. If so, then I'm going to look into buying one for more stopping power, Carmine.

Clint

Well Known Member
I like the Kimber's a lot. Somewhere around 2002 I went to range and just for kicks shot one out of the display case. I have never shot a sweeter 45 in my life. I should have purchased it on the spot, as they have gone up so much.

They have become very expensive.

Clint

Well Known Member
I have a 9mm Sig that looks like the 1911 Colt, only smaller. I think it might be the same size as the Kimber. If so, then I'm going to look into buying one for more stopping power, Carmine.

:guns:gunsyou will enjoy shooting it.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I got a Kimber pro carry 2 in .45 cal a while ago with 5 boxes of ammo a holster and he had the kimber night sights installed from a friend of mine. He bought it brand new had it a couple months and lost interest in it so I traded some stereo equipment I had no plans for it. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet but have carried it a few times but will take a little getting used to compared to my m&p shield.884DBF9A-3C6A-4FA3-94F9-D39605558802.jpeg

Clint

Well Known Member
I got a Kimber pro carry 2 in .45 cal a while ago with 5 boxes of ammo a holster and he had the kimber night sights installed from a friend of mine. He bought it brand new had it a couple months and lost interest in it so I traded some stereo equipment I had no plans for it. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet but have carried it a few times but will take a little getting used to compared to my m&p shield.View attachment 60744
Mine is the crimson carry with laser grip sights. Trigger pull is about 4lbs with no travel. Sounds like you got a good deal to me!!!

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’m happy with the deal. He was going to get the laser grips but never came up with the money. I have thought about the laser grips but don’t know if I would like them or not.