1936 chevy vintage race car

carlalique

I just posted a new album with 20 photo's of my latest projest; a 1936 chevy coupe vintage race car/street rod with a 348. You may recall I had oil pressure problems due to a defective priming tool from Showcars. I unnecessarily had to pull engine and totally dissasemble....only to find it was a bad piming tool. Car is close to completion after a 3 year effort; plan to display at Daytona Turkey rod run if all goes well in next few weeks....running out of time! Waiting for sprintcar headers from Sanderson. New wheels and tires next week. Terry

http://www.348-409.com/forum/album.php?albumid=184

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yea baby:beerbang Nice real nice love it When I race circle track most of the modifieds looked like that. Can't say I ever saw a W in one. Great job. Ken

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Yea baby:beerbang Nice real nice love it When I race circle track most of the modifieds looked like that. Can't say I ever saw a W in one. Great job. Ken

I can......in the early '60's, Carl Burris was a regular at SouthSide Speedway in Richmond, Va. Carl ran a '36 flat back coach with a 327 injected motor and he blew the motor one Friday night. He had just bought a new '61 Impala with the 348/350 motor, the following week he returned with the 348 out of his new car in the race car and won the race.
I worked at the Texaco station after school and every Friday Carl would stop and get gas on the way to SouthSide, he was one of my hero's back then. We lost him a few years ago.

carlalique

Thanks for the info on Circle track racer Carl Burris. There was one photo on Hamby of Carls #04 slatback that looks like a "W" engine. I had inquired on the 348-409 site of any "W" circle trackers but got no leads. I grew up in Spencerport NY and followed the modified dirt circuit racers in the 60's like Hoag (18) and Lee Ozborne (81). A lot of 36' chevys were utilized then because of solid roof and stripped of wood for weight savings. My buddy Frank Hager raced modifieds in upstate NY in the 60's and has a 36' (?) he stiil races on vintage circuit. We used his car for dimensions/details; however being a street rod, I wanted something different than the typical small block.....searched for a 409 but could only find a 348. Trying to decide if I should do a #3 side graphics/Earnhardt tribute....what do you think?

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Everybody and their kid does Dale....I'd try to go off some of the old pics and get the whole look from the period. There were some older numbering styles that you don't see anymore that really "fit"...like the crossed flags on the W cars, etc.

Sorry if I PO'd any Dale fans, wasn't intentional. JMO.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Super nice project... :clap:cheers Keep up the great work. Maybe you can bring the car to Thompson Next year, make plans now !!!!! :cool: