1937 Chevy Coupe build

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hello all....this is my first time to try and do a build page so please bear with me !

This is a 1937 Chevy Coupe that I first saw when I was about 10 years old, around 1975, when we would gather cows for my Grandfather in west Texas.....I was not able to get the body out of that pasture until 2002.

I started gathering up parts at that time....and was able to get a stock chassis in about 2007 which we added a drop spindle mustang II suspension to and put narrowed clip on the back. At about this time I realized that I wanted a 409 for this thing and everything came to a screeching halt while I tried to figure out how to get a good one.

Fast forward a few years and Ronnie Russell became my friend and I purchased his 409 that was in his 64 Impala.
.060 over, 4 inch stroker with 2x4 on it.... should do the trick.
Now its 15 years after acquiring the car.......I have boxes upon boxes of parts purchased over a 15 year period...am going to need to take a weekend and open them all so to inventory and label it all.
I have a walker radiator, March serpentine belt system, 4L60E auto transmission built to handle the torque and a 31 spline ford 9" reared that I had narrowed 9 years ago just for this car.

Today I dropped the axles and carrier off at Ft.Worth Gear/Axle to have all the bearings replaced and posi unit rebuilt and 3.50 gears put in.

We are scheduled for a 4 day thrash over Memorial Day Weekend 2017 at my buddies shop to get engine/tranny/rear end and body mounted on the chassis......this has been a long time coming !

The goal is to have the car running/driving/stopping and floors in it by Nov. 11, 2017....paint and interior probably will not be done but will see what happens......we have a little car club here in north Texas and each fall we have our annual show.....called Pistons & Paint....and I want to finally have this car there.

Go to PistonsandPaint.com to view our website.....we have had 500 cars come for the show the past few years !!!

The following pics will be from pasture 2002 to last real work in 2010.
Wish us luck !!!!
Will update !!!
37frt.jpg 37lft.jpg 37rt.jpg 37rtfrt.jpg

Last edited:

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
chassis 4-21-10 006.jpg chassis 4-21-10 004.jpg 37 chassis 004.jpg 37 chassis 005.jpg chassis 4-21-10 003.jpg 37 chassis 007.jpg
Chassis build in 2010.....we never finished because this is about the time I decided to build the 409.
Will place a roll bar that will tie the narrowed rear 4 link to the middle of the chassis for strength.
We will finish this in a couple of weeks !!!

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
This is outstanding. I like '37's,either the coupe or the pickup. It would be fun to put my 409 in one, not sure if I ever would. There was a '37 Master Deluxe coupe sitting down by my work for years, it had an 8.5" GM 10 bolt under it, the drive shaft was hanging out of it, it also had a Nova/Camaro type subframe under the front half already installed. Car disappeared one day,never came back. I watched it for a couple years. That would have been a great start.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Simp, GOOD FOR YOU for saving that coupe. Through your desire, perseverance, and being hard headed, I'm sure that it will turn out great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ditto Dave on the gumption!!

Lonnie

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Simp, GOOD FOR YOU for saving that coupe. Through your desire, perseverance, and being hard headed, I'm sure that it will turn out great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ditto Dave on the gumption!!

Lonnie

For true Lonnie. More than likely if I had the gumption and some $$ at the same time, I wouldn't have lived through it.