1937 Chevy Coupe build

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree on the tranny crossmember....this one welds to the chassis but has a drop out center section to remove/install tranny easily.
Your Chassis Engineering crossmember looks like a good heavy one to handle whatever you put to it !!

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Nothing under the hood to test it, just a 300 hp 350. I swapped out a TH350 for a 200r4 and had to move the mount 4". The chassis, as you know, is angled all along the length and the crossmember was then was too narrow to bolt up 4" back, so I welded in extensions. Works fine for now and maybe forever, as I don't have any plans to get crazy with hp in this one. It's a driver and has been to Nashville, TN and Springfield, MO from MN so far.

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well the frame cage is ordered and somewhere between Ohio and Texas....should be here Monday.
Since this is my first journey down this road....what is the opinion of how to set this up?

Thinking......
1- locate where engine mounts will need to go, thus giving me a tranny mount location.
2- locate frame cage around engine tranny to make sure it clears.
3- Set the body on chassis to see where/if firewall will need to be modified.

Suggestions?

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
FRAME CAGE ARRIVED TODAY !!!!!
Felt like a kid at Christmas !
Sides are all welded up....I just need to put crossmember in where they have marked, install frame boxing plates, locate motor/tranny and build a chassis !!!

Kit looks well made and instructions are spelled out for DUMMIES.....good for me!....they have spots circled with numbers to relate "weld tab "A" to slot "3"....all my questions before ordering must have raised a flag to them that this guy may need guidence.
Only thing I need to allow for is how far back I will need to set the engine, the new cage is suppose to move back in relation to that.
Pics show the cross bars just mocked up.
Will update when its happening !!

IMG_7741.jpgIMG_7740.jpg

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OOPS......I did it again......bought stuff for another project....but hey, it was relatively cheap and only took me 7 hour round trip to pick it up....WINNER !!!
Have had a 35 Chevy truck tucked away, very much a project, but I have most of it and have just been keeping an eye out for chassis parts to just make it a roller....well a feller up in Piedmont Oklahoma had a roller chassis from a 37.....talked him down to $200.....Can you blame me????
At least I can now throw all the body on the chassis and have it look like a truck, get back some storage space from all the pieces and continue on with the coupe.
Speaking of the coupe.......motor mounts, lower rear shock mounts and a non-power mustang steering rack are all in the mail to me as I type this.
Going to get on it SOON !!!
Here are pics of the truck puzzle.
IMG_7920.JPGIMG_3428 2.jpg
IMG_7920.JPG
IMG_3428 2.jpgIMG_7920.JPGIMG_3428 2.jpgIMG_3441.jpgIMG_3437.jpg

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Could use suggestions on attaching a lower shock mount onto the rear axle, probably on the back of the 4-link brackets that are welded to the 9-inch housing.
Is there a good prefab mount out there?
Not looking at doing the adjustable mounts....probably a stud style.
Will attach a pic of what I have.
Thanks for any help - Simp
chassis 4-21-10 003.jpg

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I understand a double shear mount, but if my F350 lower mount is a single stud then it should be good for this light weight coupe.....will give it a try....if it fails...then I get to work on a hot rod some more !!!

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks like you're looking for a lower mount for coil overs? Your F350 lower mount is just for the shock and does not suspend the weight of the truck. The most pressure on tat mount is dependent on the dampening settings in the shock not the weight of the truck. The coil overs are suspending the entire weight of the car plus the extra stress of dampening. I wouldn't know if a double sheer is needed or not, maybe check with the mount or coil over manufacturers for their recommendations.:dunno

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep you are correct.
I spoke to the tech guys at Ride Tech....this mount is made for coil over shocks, told them what I had going on and asked if they had any other product they would suggest and answer was no....
The stud is 5/8” so I did buy new shock bushings to upgrade from the 1/2” that was in t he lower location.