1937 Chevy....future home to a "W"

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Car sat in a west Texas pasture from WW2 till 2004 when I finally given the OK to pull her home.
Been collecting parts for 8 years and finally getting chassis put together.
Did have an LT1 for her but I am now selling it and the mission is now to find a "W" to slip between the fenders. Hope the 4L60E will still bolt up !

12-4-2011
Welcome the newest addition to my Lil' Project......a brand "new" 348 !!!!!!
From the proverbial little ol family in Lubbock Texas......Car was wrecked years ago and engine pulled to use on irrigation pump, but never made it out of his shop. Husband passed and wife gave to the neighbor, now he sold to me and is even delivering ! My lucky day !
Block 3755011 with K2661 birthday.

Attachments

• 37lft.jpg
    37lft.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Copy of 37frt.jpg
    Copy of 37frt.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Copy of Picture 016.jpg
    Copy of Picture 016.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 29
  • chassis 4-21-10 006.jpg
    chassis 4-21-10 006.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 23

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice project! A 4L60E will bolt up to a "W" block with no problems. Just make sure you upgrade the weak parts, if your building a hot rod. The 4L60E came stock with a "sun shell" that's a piece of junk. I'd buy a new, heavy duty sun shell with the needle bearing thrust washer. There are other parts too, but that would be my first item. Good luck with your build, and keep us posted. We really like photo's !

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It looks like you rescued that car just in time. It's looking good!:beer
A 348 or 409 would be great in that car. 37 Chevy coupes are one of the best body styles ever.
Here's one I've always liked.

Silencer201.jpg

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Chop tops look good on these cars, but my roof is in such great shape I won't consider it....also, I am 6'7"...I need the head room !!

bobs409

Administrator
You guys in the south don't know how good you have it. A car sitting in a field since WWII and it's still buildable???

If that was Pa, it would be a fossil by now. :D

Truley an amazing save. I like bringing things back from the dead but don't think I'll ever get the chance to go this far back. ;)

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi Bob,
Other than the steel that was resting on the ground....body shows minor rust really......pretty excited now that I have a 348 for her, as soon as it gets here we will start making needed changes to the chassis !

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well.....I have done it agian.........Left turn,Clyde !
Had bought a 348....just a week ago....my how one week can make such a big change.
Just won the 409 Block/crank off ebay......thank goodness I had just had supper tonight with a buddy that agreed to take the 348 off my hands for what I had in it, if i ended up with the 409....whew.....that was almost too many W's.....was about to start sounding like Elmer Fudd !!!

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Had to pull savings acct $$ for the 409 till I get square with my buddy in a few weeks........but think it will be worth it !!!

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well the 409 block/crank/pan/tins are put away in the garage and I just scored a pair of 2 1/2" ex manifolds for $185 delivered price from Feebay........don't think the seller had time to let the ink dry before I had them on their way to Texas.....they are truck manifolds, but will work just fine for my little 409 !.....beginning to feel like Johnny Cash.......one piece at a time !

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Since I have gone all 409 on this project.....I have forgotten the meaning of "simple" and "common".
I just made the deal on my intake setup....a nice lil Offenhauser 6x2 setup.
Not too sure how all this is going to thrash out....but it should be fun !!!

Attachments

• 6x2.JPG
    6x2.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 6

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wow....whatta great looking engine !
Apache...have you ran multiple carbs before ?

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:brow
Ya Simps 37 done allot multi carb set ups for other people The engine in the picture is in a 32 dodge 3 window that may see the road next summer. I perfer injection set ups and would like to do a retro carb/injection for a stroked 348 going in a 64 elky.

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hoping that milage will not be too bad running on middle two carbs most of the time......and if I have all 6 open then I really won't give a darn about milage !!!!