1957 Buick 70 Series Roadmaster Riviera "Honey I'm Home!!!"

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well I picked this rig up yesterday. 1957 Buick 70 Series Roadmaster Riviera. The body has been media blasted and is in DP. All of the sheet metal is mint as well as the body with absolutely no rust or even any pitting. It came with a 430-4 and a tubo 400. It dose not have a rear end but I have 3-extra 9.3 Olds/Pontiac rears. I think I will use my 62 Olds housing with the 2:56 posi. This should be a fun project. My friend Mike went with me to pick it up and we did a complete inventory of the parts and wrapped everything in stretch wrap as we packed it. Here are a few pic of the packing and moving.

All Loaded up and ready to go to her new home.jpgLittle Mack pulling the buick off the trailer 1.jpgLittle Mack pulling the buick off the trailer 4.jpgbuick movin on in 2.jpgbuick movin on in 4.jpgIn the shop.jpgFire wall 1.jpgParts 1.jpgParts 2.jpgFrom the Back.jpg

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
NICE! A little modernation on that 430 and you've got your self a sweet cruiser.
Don, I have had a couple of the the 430's in the past. My build will be about 450-500.
I really like the lines. Is going to look like a street rod?

Randy it will retain the original look but will have wheels tires and a nice stance. Triangulated 4-bar and from what research I have done my 196o Pontiac parts car control arms are a bolt on then I can adapt disc brakes to them. That is my thought anyway...:D

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice car!:beer
Have you decided what color you're going to paint it?
I am thinking black with red interior.....:deal

I like the looks of the car and a 430 is a good engine but a nice nailhead with two fours would look even better.

Bill
I do know where there is a complete 401 but I think I am going to stick with the 430 and use the Offenhouser duel four intake. The 430 already has a lot of goodies with it that I would have to purchases if I were to switch to the nailhead.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
MAN,That color combo would be awesome!The 57 Buick was a good looking car in it's day.Is your th-400 a 'switch-pitch"convertor type?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
AWESOME!!! I have a sweet spot for Buick's. I got my driver's license in my step-father's 55 Buick Roadmaster!!!! 322 V8 and Dyno-flow transmission. Spent several years in Jr. High looking thru JC Whitney and Warshoshy??? catalogs for speed parts for a Buick!!!!! There ain't any!!!! Almost bought a black/red 57 Buick Roadmaster as my first car!!! But got the black 58 348 Impala instead.

GREAT find Dan!! Git er' done and you can go down and show Jay Leno YOUR Buick!!!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Dan,The early Buick,Cad,and Olds 400's had a vaiable pitch [varieable stall] convertor.I've seen modified ones that ,in the low stall mode have a stall of about 1500 rpm,but in the high stall mode it would be at about 4000:eek:crazy.If memory serves me correctly,the plug on the side of the trans where the kickdown wire goes will have 2 connecting terminals as opposed to one for the non switched [Chevy] versions.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan,The early Buick,Cad,and Olds 400's had a vaiable pitch [varieable stall] convertor.I've seen modified ones that ,in the low stall mode have a stall of about 1500 rpm,but in the high stall mode it would be at about 4000:eek:crazy.If memory serves me correctly,the plug on the side of the trans where the kickdown wire goes will have 2 connecting terminals as opposed to one for the non switched [Chevy] versions.
You mean like this..?:deal

Switch Pitch 400 1.jpgSwitch Pitch 400 2.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:danceYep,if it's a 65-67 [also about the year range for the 430 engine],you might be the proud owner of a switch pitch:dance

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
My wife's '65 Buick skylark convert has the switch pitch 2 speed turbo hydro tranny (not a powerglide) that used a micro switch on the throttle linkage to activate it. Kind of feels like the tranny drops down about half a gear when you step on the throttle past a predetermined point. Works great. Feels like a turbo kicking in. A friend is running the '65-'67 turbo hydro 400 version switch pitch behind a 401 nailhead and really likes it. BTW, love that body style.:beerLeo