1958 348 Carb

arkyduck

Does anyone know if Edelbrock makes a carb that will replace the Carter WCFB on a 58 348 engine? I would like to keep the stock intake if possible. I am not interested in performance. Thanks:cheers

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Don't you have a Rochester 4 Jet on your 58?

My son has a stock rebuilt 58 Rochester 4 jet that came off his 58 Impala with 66k miles. The carb was professionaly rebuilt at at Las Vegas Carburetor SHop less than 6 months ago. He wound up not using it. If you are interested, drop me a PM.

arkyduck

They used both the Rochester 4GC and the Carter WCFB. The problem I'm having with my carb is flooding and fuel perculation after a long run in hot 95 degree weather. I added a phenolic carb spacer and it helped a little but is still doing it. I'm told the 10% Ethanol in the gas is the problem. Don't know if that's a fact or not.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
If you are running the stock air cleaner and ethonal gas you will have problems. Apparently the stock air cleaner will fill with fuel vapor after freeway driving or shutdown and flood the motor with an over rich mixture. I had to replace the factory air cleaners on both of our cars with open element filters and the problem was about 90% resolved. Apparently the paper filters get saturated with fuel vapor that can't escape out the snorkels. My experience was that the cars ran like the choke was still on when up to temp. Leo

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Gas perks

If the heat riser is not opening completely when the engine warms up, the heat continues to super heat the intake and boil the gas out of the carb. At the very least just remove the heat rise or jam it in the open position. Most muffler shops can replace it pretty cheaply.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Along with these other suggestions also make sure that your fuel line/lines are not any were near super heat sources such as the exhaust manifolds. I now route all my fuel lines as far away as I can from any heat sources and wrap them with insulation on all my builds. and I'll give you one guess why:rolleyes: Ken:takethat

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would say a WCFB or a Rochester is a better carb than an Edelbrock and your problem is not the carb but any of the above suggestions.

Don

arkyduck

I would say a WCFB or a Rochester is a better carb than an Edelbrock and your problem is not the carb but any of the above suggestions.

Don
I have taken out the heat riser. I still have the original air filter but changed it over to a paper filter. I did run an after market filter assy for awhile to see if it made any difference but it didn't. I am running stock fuel lines and they seem to be well away from engine heat. The only thing I haven't changed is the thermostat, which is a 180 deg. I appreciate all the input because I would really like to cure this problem if possible! Does anyone still make an aluminum intake manifold for a 348?

Old School

Supporting Member 1
You could try a 160 thermostat. Pull the intake and block off the carb heat ports. We only drive these cars in warm weather anyway..

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Do you have one of the stainless plates to block off the crossover on the base (if a WCFB has one like a Rochester?)?

Are your floats set correctly? Have you installed a good kit recently? Is the top cracked?

Don

arkyduck

I have a 3/4" phenolic spacer under the carb to block off the crossover. Checked the floats last month. Didn't notice any cracks. Where do I look?