1958 chevy stepside Diff

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi All,
The 59 nomad is all but done :dance(well as far as what I'm planning for it at this stage) and now it's nearlly time to start thinking about hooking in the the pick-up for the wife.

Plans at this stage are a Hedits superide IFS with drop spindles (already have) a LS 5.3l engine from a Silverardo or similar which may be bumped just a little in the HP range and auto.

However, my question is. How strong are the original chevy diffs in these pick-ups and would they be able to handle the LS engine? Also is there anywhere you can get a good selection on gear & pinion ratios from and rebuid kits!
Model of pick-up is 3100

Thanks for your help.

Gav

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Gav,If youre going to put slicks on it,NOT likely.If you plan on running the overdrive [4l65e] that came behind that 5.3 ,you'll be happy with the acceleration as those old trucks were geared quite low if memory serves correctly.Parts canbe problematic,so I'd suggest a late model 8.5 rear.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
The rear in Giny's 59 Apache pickup was a piece of $hit !!! I took a rear out of one of my '57 parts cars and installed it in her truck. Now I could go to a posi with no problem , and I had 5 lug axels. That made late model tire and wheel combinations a snap !!

:crazy:dance:cheers

Attachments

• Giny\'s 1959 Apache half ton pickup.jpg
    Giny\'s 1959 Apache half ton pickup.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 6

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks guys, gives me somthing to ponder over. Don, yes i do plan on running the overdrive [4l65e].

Cheers:cheers
Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Decontronstruction began last weekend on the pick-up even though I have been told not to touch it with our trip to the USA pending next year:bang. But we all know what happens when we get bored!:think, yep start on the next project.
After a bit more thinking and research on the rear diff side of things i will be going for a camaro 10 or 12 bolt diff 60" wide. So if anyone has something for sale then please let me know, probably a posi.

Gav

Attachments

• photo (23).JPG
    photo (23).JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo (24).JPG
    photo (24).JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 4

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I used a stock 1957 Chevy passenger car rear in my wife's '59 stepside. I also used 1954 Chevy pass car front hubs to give me 5 lug wheels all around .

Attachments

• Giny\'s 1959 Apache half ton pickup.jpg
    Giny\'s 1959 Apache half ton pickup.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 5

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I used a stock 1957 Chevy passenger car rear in my wife's '59 stepside. I also used 1954 Chevy pass car front hubs to give me 5 lug wheels all around .

Hey Butch, did this fit straight under without having to shorten! I'll be running 15 x 8 rims as well.
Gav

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Butch, did this fit straight under without having to shorten! I'll be running 15 x 8 rims as well.
Gav

Hey Gav , If I remember right I think I had to move the spring perches a little. The rear fit under the truck perfectly . No other mods but the spring mounts.