1958 Engine detail Question 283

1958biscayne

Hello Everyone. I have been enjoying the site very much. I recently purchased a 1958 Biscayne 2dr post. It's almost all original. The stereo has been updated, But aside from that it's Pretty much stock. It's a numbers matching car, and has the original 283 and powerglide. I am restoring the engine compartment to complete stock details. The engine and trans are coming out this week so I can rebuild them. I have most of the correct colors coming in the mail for the manifolds, master cyl, radiator support etc. I was wondering if the complete engine was painted chevy orange, after they assembled it at the factory. Or was this done in seperate stages? I guess the real question is should all of the bolt heads be chevy orange as well, or natural in color. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea how can I post pics here. I'll check the FAQ.

blumun53

Well Known Member
Hello. Here's what I remember from my '59, which was completely factory stock and shouldn't be much different than your question on your '58. My 283 was totally the same color, which was actually an off-orange, or off-red color. Almost identical to my '60 348. It was not 'Chevy Orange'. All my bolts were painted, and there was no overspray on the exhaust manifolds, or trans bell housing, as some were. Hope this helps. I had a '58 Impala, which I installed a '63 409 (hopped up, of course). Quite a cruiser and head-turner. Beautiful cars.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
blumun53, Welcome to our site. You will find a lot of good people here with shared interest. Tried to e-mail you a " welcome", but have failed. If you wish, P.M. me with your e-mail address . We live in the same area . If I can be of any help, just ask.