1958 Front Speaker Mounting Question

Al T

I've got the radio of my '58 out being rebuilt. Could anyone advise where to get a correct speaker as well as how is it mounted into the dash. Are there clips with studs on them that slide over the dash edge under the speaker cover?

IMG_3272.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Allan

ragtp66

Well Known Member
I've got the radio of my '58 out being rebuilt. Could anyone advise where to get a correct speaker as well as how is it mounted into the dash. Are there clips with studs on them that slide over the dash edge under the speaker cover?

View attachment 51945

Thanks in advance.

Allan
Here you go IMG_6011.JPG

Also for what its worth I don't know why I cannot find it right now but I KNOW that the speakers are DIFFERENT ohms for the pushbutton and the base radio. I just cant seem to locate where that info is located. DO NOT power the radio on without having a speaker connected. They usually take a lil bit for the tubes to warm up before they start playing.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I strongly suggest you look at this company in Minnesota. I have their speakers in my 62's and 2 - AM original radios conversions to AM/FM with disc players playing through the original radio(it stays looking original but plays AM/FM and other options).

Read carefully what they say about speakers and the ohm readings and buying speakers that are not correct(and don't work).
I get excellent sound out of the front and rear speakers in my 62 Impalas(4 by 10 to fit the original speaker front mount and the correct speakers for the back seat of all Impalas with the speaker in the seat).

SPEAKERS

http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

Do not buy generic speakers with large magnets.
They provide advise on what to use for speakers and radio conversions and hooking up the speakers.
There prices for their excellent quality speakers are reasonable...

They now have many other options through the original radio if a person is interested in other options.
Radio conversion
http://www.turnswitch.com/radio1.htm

Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Agree 110% with Paul. Had the 2 radio's in my '62 and '64 Impalas converted to AM-FM and capable of playing my I-Pod. Also bought matching speakers from them. Am very pleased with their workmanship and tech support. So much so, that I will be sending them the radio in my '71 GTO for the exact same conversion as the others, Carmine.