1958 head gaskets?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I've got four steel shim cylinder head gaskets that I think are for the earlier 1958 engines with the different water coolant passages. Here is a pick of them aside what I believe to be a standard 409 head gasket.

Is this what these are?

Thanks in advance,
TomK

Attachments

• October 16 2009 Ebay stuff 350 V8 409 intake Dodge PU BRAKES 016.jpg
    October 16 2009 Ebay stuff 350 V8 409 intake Dodge PU BRAKES 016.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 83

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
early gaskets

Just happen to have a pair of the early heads, and they look like a match.

The early heads make great doorstops, especially when they were free!:)

THEY MAKE GREAT DOORSTOPS!)

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
early 58 heads

I remember reading years ago there was no problem with normal operation with the early heads, the problems were with cars that idled for long periods, like police cars. The spark plugs would only last about one or 2000 miles. So the added cooling holes were added late production of 58s. Correct Cecil?

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I remember reading years ago there was no problem with normal operation with the early heads, the problems were with cars that idled for long periods, like police cars. The spark plugs would only last about one or 2000 miles. So the added cooling holes were added late production of 58s. Correct Cecil?

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

That's my story Wayne, and I'm sticking to it. Witness Scott Hall's post on the 58 block with 690 heads. He didn't mention any cooling or spark plug issues. There's no question that the addition of the cooling jackets added to spark plug longevity as that was the purpose, but as far as I know, there was no overall engine cooling issues without it.:coffee: