1958 Impala steering problems

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
I have a couple of steering issues, one is steering wheel play and wandering. At 50-65 mph I constantly have to constantly have to turn the steering left to right to the car in a straight line. Anybody with issues like this? If so, what's causing it and how can I get this fixed?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
A couple things to check. Make sure all steering and suspension parts are in good condition, not too loose or too tight(seized from lack of grease or sitting), check steering box play and adjust properly. If you got power steering, the control valve needs to be in good condition and adjusted properly. If your running radial tires, I would suggest setting the caster to as much positive as you can get(which is always a problem on these cars) at least 3*, or more, would be ideal for me. I sure others will chime in with more things to check.

bobs409

Administrator
Have someone turn the wheel back and forth a littel while you watch the steering components. I'd bet there is play in the power steering system control valve as it's a terrible design! (if you have PS that is) :D If manual, most likely the steering box. Watch all the moving parts for any play; tie rod ends, pitman to drag link, idler arm, etc.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
58 doesn't have that bar Skip,but the previous advice is spot on.Check the suspension for the WHOLE car.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
:doh I forgot. The 58's have a bracket, in the center of the pumpkin. Sometimes, I engage my mouth, before my brain.:rolleyes