1958 impala windshield and back glass

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Meyer,

Could you take a thin metal ruler and (carefully) take a measurement at the crease of pinch weld to the back window and check the length of the portion of the clip that is sticking out under the glass seal. Compare that length with one of your old original clips and see if they match. Because there are two different lengths to those style clips and I just want to rule that out (excuse the pun). It's either the length of that part of the clip is the shorter one or the thickness of the rear glass seal that might be not allowing the trim to reach the clips. I don't think the slight deformation of your trim is causing it.

Meyer

The new clips was exactly
Like the originals i just want to install new. before it was taken apart the upper moulding wasent right back then , same situation now in same area....

I think the seal is to thick but im not 100%

is there a certain way to install them...

I think finding the middle of the upper and work from center and out?

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
That's good that the new clips match the originals. It's looking more like the rear glass seal might be the problem. Do you have any information on who you purchased it from (which manufacturer?) and if it was identified to be the one for your year and model?

Let's see if you have the correct seal for this before going over the installation steps. But yes, there is a certain way to install them.

Does the glass seal have any gaps anywhere around the opening after it was installed and that are still there? This can indicate if it was installed correctly or not. Or if you have the correct seal or not.

Can you take some pic's of that area?

Meyer

There is a gap between real and glass in the problem corner it is purchased for a 1958 impala ht

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Meyer,

Could you provide some picture's of the gap between the "real and glass in the problem corner" and of the packaging that the rear glass seal came in to see if they had "sent" you the seal that was "purchased for a 58 Impala HT".

thank you-