1958 impala windshield and back glass

Meyer

Is all the stainless installed after windows are installed? Is thera any thing to be aware ?

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't have a 58, but on my 62, the stainless trim hides all the trim clips and rubber edges and is installed after the glass and rubber seals go in.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Your rear stainless has these reveal molding clips to hold the stainless in place.
https://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-size-chevy-window-reveal-molding-clip-set-rear-1958-1964.html

Not sure how the stainless on the front is held in place. The top stainless on 62 to 64 Hardtops is held on with reveal molding clips

you need this tool to release the reveal molding clips from the stainless -for the rubber that covers the reveal molding clips
https://www.lategreatchevy.com/chevy-rear-glass-removing-tool-stainless-steel-1955-1972.html
Paul

ragtp66

Well Known Member
It has been soooooooo long since glass has been in my car I honestly cannot remember exactly but I recall the headliner having to be pulled down for screw access at the top both front and rear and the corner triangle shaped pieces have a stud on them that bolts after the glass goes in. I think those pieces have to go in when the windshield is roped in. I am pretty sure the Impala is different then the other non-Impala models. Glass was installed at Fisher Body before the car was delivered to Chevrolet for final assembly so I do not believe it is in the AIM and I have yet to find a 1958 Fisher Body Assembly Manual.

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Meyer,

The front glass has a two piece molding on the top that has (6) post style clips that mount them to the top of the roof line before the headliner gets installed. Make sure you use some sealing compound (strip-calk type by 3M #08578) on the stems to seal the molding clips at the stems/outside roof mounting holes (using speed nuts to secure these) before installing the headliner. The lower front molding gets installed into the glass seal prior to installation if I remember correctly. Other's are correct that the rear glass moldings get pushed into the clips that get installed around the rear glass opening pinch weld "prior" to installing the glass. Just make sure to install one on each half (on each side of the union) of the lower molding to hold them in place when you install the two lower half's of the molding. The lower union is the starting point to install this molding and work it around and up to the corners. The one piece upper rear molding goes on next then the two corner pieces (which should get sealed around the stems like the front upper moldings did). Hope this was helpful.

Last edited:

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Meyer,

That is correct, only on the molding posts to seal the moldings at the top roof line and on the side/corner trim pieces (front and rear). There is another 3M product that can be used in the windshield/back glass seals. It's called Bedding and Glazing Compound #08509. This product should be put into both the front and rear seal grooves prior to installing the seal onto the windshield/back glass pieces. It doesn't get hard and shrink up which helps to keep water out between the seal and the glass units after installing them into the car.

Last edited:

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Meyer,

There might be a couple of things causing that. A few questions first; How many clips total did you install in the back window opening? were the clips you installed identified properly for your application (i.e. were they for your car)? and were the clips installed so that they make contact with the top of the pinch weld so that the outside portion of the clip is as close to the bottom of the window opening before the glass was installed?

Do you have any picture's of the clips installed prior to the rear glass being installed?

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Okay Meyer, You say that you put the correct clips in all the original locations and they are identical like the old original ones (what was wrong with the old ones?). Then which clips are failing and not allowing the trim to stay in them? What is the condition of the trim pieces? were they removed with the proper trim removal tool? What I'm getting at is that maybe the trim might be a bit deformed when it was removed which could be causing this problem. In the second pic it appears that there isn't enough clips installed on the lower part of the window opening EVEN though you said that you replaced them in their original locations. When I did my back window the clip kit I got had 23 clips in it. I installed 11 on the top and 12 on the bottom with the extra one for both sides at the middle union area where the two lower trim pieces go. I didn't have the opportunity to take my car apart like you did. I bought it in pieces with a lot of parts in various boxes and I had to figure it out like a puzzle. Yours is looking real good with where you are at with it right now.

Meyer

I used the same amoubt of clips that came off... yes both lower roght and upper was deformed alittle... i have got a nother ipper and bought a lower right and will start over ... for me it feels like the stainless wont reach the clips