1958 power steering...

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
A friend has a 58 Impala that he wants to add power steering to. It has an alternator and he is not concerned about originality. Can we run the 60-64 style power steering setup on this? It has a 348. Not sure if there will be any clearance problems with splash pans and such. Never spent much time wrenching on a '58.
Any help would be great!
Ross

chevyjason

Well Known Member
58 Steering

G'day Ross,
I have a 348 in my 58. I have left it LHD. Most parts of the power steering is from a 64 with a small block. All pulleys bolt straight in, i've used the factory alternator bracket from the 65 cast truck block and modified the top of it to mount an aftermarket, self regulating alternator and used the 409 bracket from showcars to tention the belt. The SBC pump and cradle mount in, but i had to extend the upper hole in the cradle to fit the 348, lower hole position is correct. Used a quarter inch washer behind the cradle to space it out. Used the small block belt tentioner but cut the "leg" off and welded it to the bottom of the alternator bracket to be able to tention the pump belt. It was very fiddley " on agan off again " work but once installed looks like it always lived there.
If you send your email i can send you some pics if you like. Good luck,
Jason