1958 vs 1959

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is there any bolt in difference between a trans cross member for a 58 vs a 59? Lets say for a powerglide, do they interchange?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would expect they would be the same. I just checked my '59-60 shop manual and didn't see see anything. If you have a '58 cross member for a PG, post it and I'll post my cross member for a '59.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The reason I asked this question is I have an aftermarket trans cross member to put a 700R4 in the X frame, but the fabricator that makes them has 58 listed separately from 59-64 and yet they look the same in the picture. So I don't know which one I have. They couldn't be that much different I would think.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I don't remember which is longer but I discovered it when restoring the 58 wagon. I thought I had the proper crossmember until I tried to put it in....it was either too long to go between frame rails or too short. Logic would lead me to believe that the 59 frame being longer would place the crossmember farther forward in the X thus making it wider but I could be wrong about that.

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
58, I'm not sure which is which but I do believe they are different. My next project is a 59 with a 700R4, so if you determine you have one for a 59 and want to sell it shoot me a PM. I put a 700R4 in my '58 SDL, but I fabricated it myself.