1959-60 Arm Rests

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1
Anyone have this issue:

I ordered new ornaments & reflectors for my Impala arm rests. The ornaments were not correct. The ones I received measured 1-1/2" wide, but my originals are 2-1/4" wide.

I did some research and it seems that GM made a design change to these in 1961, but kept the same part number. They will fit the 59-60 but are not "correct".

I returned the new ones I bought and sent the originals out for re-chroming.

upload_2014-12-25_16-40-52.jpeg

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1
If that is the case, why can you only get the narrow ones? Try ordering the wide ones....not happening, unless someone besides Classic, Ciadella, Sinclair's, NPD, OGPI, etc., has them.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
If that is the case, why can you only get the narrow ones? Try ordering the wide ones....not happening, unless someone besides Classic, Ciadella, Sinclair's, NPD, OGPI, etc., has them.
Simple.....................they MADE the WRONG one!!!!!!!!!!! Probably just one manufacturer and everybody sells the same part.

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1
Like I said in my original post -

I did some research and it seems that GM made a design change to these in 1961, but kept the same part number. They will fit the 59-60 but are not "correct".

That said, and factoring in what I have learned from you, I guess when it was decided to remake these, and the part number being the same, they only had the narrower version on hand and thought it was correct for every application.

The part number I got and returned (narrow) had a "B" as part of the number. Could it be that the wider version has an "A"?