1959 Driveshaft

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
Wow! lots of ideas.. love it.. I will try to catch up with post.. first about the brake drums, it is on my next test session to do, we had been a little reluctant to run it 60 MPH without brakes but I am ready to try. There are a couple posts about rear pinion, etc, we replaced the center section, no change. Checked for pinion issues as I had to change the pinion on the second pumpkin. Next the there were comments about transmission internals and bent input shaft. Even though I have run the car 65 and put it in neutral and it had no affect next we if no luck by then we are going to change the transmission. I am fortunate to have a spare that I know is good. At this point I just can not afford to assume anything. We have checked the tail shaft bushing and I am not sure how to declare it good. There is just a "tick" of play that seems about what I would assume normal to be but it is not as "free" as the spare trans I have, it has a tick and a half. In reference to the engine mating, this engine, trans etc all came from the same running lightly wrecked car (in the rear). I did have the trans rebuilt even though it was a 60K unit. All great thoughts guys and I will execute a test on each idea.. Thanks and keep the ides coming.. I will fix this thing and most likely it will be form someone's idea posted right here.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
There was a mention of bolting on converter to faceplate correctly even though trans and motor from same car.there was a video where he turned engine back and forth to line it up correct . Don't know if he was really correct or not.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I think it has to be drive line related if you are shutting off the engine and still have the vibration.
But when you do this the tail shaft is still turning as well as some of the other internal transmission parts.
Just curious if when you shut the engine off at speed in neutral can you put the shifter back in drive with the key on will the engine start back up or do you have to crank it again to start it?
What I am getting at here is this could give an idea of how much stuff is still turning in the transmission.

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
blkblk64... I definitely have not seen that video, will see if I can find it..

LA Hotrods... You are right on concerning lots of parts still turning. With the traffic in my area it is hard to just get a spot to put it in neutral without getting run over but if I have to go out at midnight I am going to try all of this. I will let you know it the engine cranks with just the ign on or if I have to hit the starter. I am in Myrtle Beach at the car show and I have talked to every X frame owner I can find. I also talked to the crew at Hubbards Impalas and all the people they are connected with (builders) and nothing new has surfaced EXCEPT with everything I have done everyone says its something other than the drive line, most say transmission. There is a guy here with a new 62 that has the same engine/trans but they just built the car with a one piece drive shaft, never tried the two piece. Not one person I talked to (about 8 guys) had a drive shaft issue after cutting the driveshaft either for a 700R4 trans or a 5 speed. Keep the ideas coming I will do them all next week. Thanks

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I found one video where they shim the tc to flex place so it does not pull converter to far forward from pump and cause damage . If it had more than a 3/16 drill bit they install. Washer to keep correct spacing. Since you had a engine ,trans from same car this may not be a factor.

b a king

Did you say you swapped tires?? If not could they be out of round?
Do you have a tach in it? do you have a extra trans yoke? see what the rpm is at vibration speed.Pull shaft stick in yoke, see if you get anything then

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
As far as checking balance of brake drums , take them to any tire shop that has a spin balancer for the check, and drill the heavy side to balance.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Stop fu____g around and cut the tunnel of the frame and stick a 1 piece in there. I would bet you can no longer get to the specs of the factory angle for the 2 piece. You lowered the rear and added to the length. By lowering the rear you added angle and dropping the center bearing you also added to the angle. I don't see a point to more adjusting. Either you get to the angles or you can't. You need a double adjustable upper rear link also to stop taking it apart every adjustment.

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
BA King
3 different drive shafts. Shutter when you take off, vibration from 58-65 is bad and continues lesser after that.

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
models916
I am open to a one piece. With the money and effort I have dropped here a one piece is nothing. BUT I would hate to go to the one piece and have the same problem.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Do you see any cracks in the new paint around any of the suspension mounting points?
Was the frame a rusty one?