1959 Driveshaft

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I would suggest power brakeing in gear ,hold wheels from spinning and have someone watch under car to see if any shift in trans and motor mounts .

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
It was a frame off, zero rust on frame, blasted and painted Por15 all new bushings, our inspection of the areas you mention do not show anything but what hides under the paint who knows. As I stated before, not the shutter but the vibration has been duplicated running on the lift. I have run my hand over every component and no specific place seems to be vibrating more than other locations. I am concerned about the areas you mention, I replacing the banana link Monday and am thinking about taking a wire wheel to areas mentioned.

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
We did check the motor mounts by almost forcing the engine inti a stall situation with the brake on. We also took a bar and tried the old method.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When you arr running on lift do you have differential in position as if it were setting on ground, not hanging.

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
The lift has a tandem jack arrangement that is part of the lift, I jack it up under the trailing arms at the extreme rear end of the arms.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If you have room weld in a brace for your upper arm mount and look at what it will take to install the other upper arm.
This may be the cure for the thump on takeoff but not the vibration.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I think this new transplant power train has a lower first gear so it is going to tax the rear more than the factory stuff did.

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
As I have mentioned I am in Myrtle Beach at the are (without my car) but I have approached every X frame car owner in the show, probably 15, many with the rear up, some front up. with 4L60 trans, some with 2 piece and some one piece, not one person I have talked to has any vibration. I did notice looking under many cars a big difference between cars with the Canadian frame and the US frame besides the rear boxing. The Canadian frame has a stock slot made into the frame large enough for a one piece driveshaft.

Attachments

• IMG_20180316_144345936.jpg
    IMG_20180316_144345936.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 17

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Do you have a upper adustable control arm you can adjust without having to unbolt one end to adjust. They do make one like that

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
I can easily add weld to the factory upper factory mount. I can add a drivers side mount if I move my gas lines. They did have 2 on the higher powered cars from the factory. We have been thinking it might be a 2 part problem. One thing causing the vibration, a completely different issue on the shutter.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If yu had the quick adjust you tune in the differential while on the lift to see if you help or not help the vibration.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
This might sound crazy but if you only installed the front piece driveshaft split it.and see what it does.cant brake to stop drive shaft rotation just shut off engine and let drive shaft stop before putting in park.Be carefully with that .

Last edited:

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
It is the adjust on the car type. I saw on one of the sites they had a back side brace for the banana link. Wonder if anyone has tried those.

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
Try only the front drive shaft, now that is a new twist.. I can do.. I am making a list of all the things that have been suggested.

William Malik

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hello, I am a newbie here and this is my first post. I have been reading posts on this site since I got my 62 last June, and I appreciate the knowledge that I have seen here. I had a very similar problem with vibration on one of my previous x-frame cars in the past. One of the drums was missing the spring that goes around it. Replaced both springs and all the vibration problems disappeared. Do not know if this will help, but just my experience.

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
I have really been impressed with all the help and new ideas I have gotten on this site, I was up against the wall and I have gotten several new directions. I NEEDED them.