1959 Driveshaft

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
On my one piece set up I have some pinion up angle to the drive shaft angle.
Now with this I have a buzz in the drive line so I know that I need to get the pinion pointing down.
My plan is to replace the upper arms with the adjustable one so I can fine tune the pinion angle.

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
You have pinion up in the front, there seems to be widespread confusion on slope. I just added the second banana link and used UMI adjustable links. IS your tans pointing down at the pinion? Do you have a close tolerance on the floor pan under the rear seat? What is your front angle? I would cherish anything thing you can offer.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The car is on a lift now.
I have changed the rear end to a 1959 Pontiac.
So my housing is larger than yours.
I used a jig to mount my bracket but it was for a 9 inch and this may be the reason my upper arms not as the was with the factory rear under it.
It always had the pinion pointing down and drive shaft pointing down.
DriveShaftAngles.jpg

b a king

surprised the control arms aren't boxed.I have seen where the guys build those cars with hydraulics cut the whole bottom of frame out. Then they put 1/4 plate on top of the tunnel. stiff as a board. an old super stock racer told me to fill center carrier bearing with silicone let harden.I have been doing that for over 30yrs my self

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
LA HOT RODS..
We are singing the same tune on your drawing, the trans angle and the pinion are at about the same angle. that is what I am trying to get on mine, equal angles, your diagram in basically 0 trans and pinion angle is 0.1. Then how I get it connected should work out but I cant match the angles, trans cant go up more to lessen that angle and the pinion to get to the equal angle as the trans is way to far rotated to the back.. My limited experience tells me you cant have the trans pointing down and the pinion pointing down,
I must be missing something
, . I love the Pontiac rear that you are using. Is you car stock height in the rear?

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
BSL409...
Thanks for your drawing, please let me see if I am interpreting correctly, this is exactly what I am looking for, someone with success. The trans is 5.25 down,,, the shaft 3.2 down and the pinion up in the front .120???? I am getting old and senile so not sure I am looking at it correctly. Thanks for the response, this is the kinda stuff I need. Is your car stock height in the rear, lowered? Did you have to cut anything except the frame?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Silly question, is your transmission centered left to right between the frame rails?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Are your motor mounts too high?????Causin g your too low tranny tail shaft position..

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The pinion and output shaft of the transmission need to be in the same plain within 1 degree. The maxmum operating angle of each joint should be no more than 3 degrees. So if your output shaft is pointing down at the ground 3 degrees, your pinion should be pointing up between 2 and 3 degrees with neither joint operating with greater than 3 degrees. In the above example, I would set the pinion at 2 degrees because the pinion will move up under power. Whatever you need to do to get the right angles is what you are going to have to do.

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
Ishiftem...
That is how I always set the cars I built. match the trans down with the pinion up. Sounds like other guys are being successful with other setups but the matching always worked for me. With this car it is not possible to get the 3 up at the front of the pinion because it rotates the axle housing too far to the back and the banana brackets tangle with the cross brace, stretches out the flex brake line, etc, etc. . To accomplish the 3 up I will have to modify (shorten) the lower trailing arms to get the 3 up without rotating the axle so far back ( more of a rotating in place than rolling it backward). I am on hold for the 1 piece and working the 2 piece right now. I got the vibration to where it is tolerable but the shutter on take off is forever there. I got the adjustable banana links now and plan to run the pinion up and down a little and just see the if there is any change. In my spare time I am going to cut the inside of the of the drive shaft tunnel so I can eventually try the 1 piece when I decide how to get the pinion up. I really need some adjustable lower trailing arms but have not found any yet, if anyone has seen some for sale let me know.

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
blkblk63SS
The engine mounts are in the stock position, we have examined the possibility of lowering the engine but there is very little space there now and for the work involved it does not have a lot of reward..

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
There has been previous posts stating that there are short and tall motor mounts. I don't know what applications they would be for. Maybe yours are the taller version?

1959chevybr

Well Known Member
If there is more information on this I would like to know. I understand there are specialty/performance motor mounts that are higher, mine are the bone stock motor mount Chevy has had since whenever and I am not aware of anything being lower, if there is I need that information. The pods the motor mount fits to is stock V8 and really leave about 1/2 inch between ban and cross member, not sure I could go any lower but if there is something out there that is better I want to know. Thanks for the thoughts I will keep my eye out for this.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Do you have old motor. If you do is there a difference in oil pan depth. Thinking if your pan is deeper now and possibly tall mounts were used . Maybe another stupid question.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I just looked and classic industries show motor mounts for ls engines to move engine forward 1.2. Inches forward for more bell housing clearance to set proper drive line angles,maybe this might be a possibility????this is for older car like yours..

Last edited: