1959 el camino 348 intake fitment

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm in the process of of building a 348 motor in my elky and am concerned with replacement intakes available on the market...it seems one of the few that will do what I am looking for is the edelbrock dual plane single 4 barrel...I plan on using their heads as well but am concerned with hood clearance after bolting on a carb and air cleaner...this car shares the same dimensions as all full size big blocks I believe...if anyone has answers to my dilemma I'd sure like to hear 'em...

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Just my opinion....if you are not going to build a "full performance engine "....
The eddy heads are a waste of money.
Now....if you want the WOW factor.....go ahead.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I fabricated a dual snorkel air cleaner I found at a super chevy back in 90...it's a rochester base cleaner adapted to a holley/edelbrock neck...it looks pretty old school...that low rise factory unit is pretty low compared to the edelbrock...I'd hate to buy one and not be able to use it...I'm not wanting to go fast, I got plenty of that...just a healthy well built mid performance motor...most importantly it's gotta fit under the hood...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil's right,[did I just say that out loud?]:whistleUnless you're building big inches,big port heads wheather Eddies,Bob Wallas or factory iron big port heads [690 or 583's] are going to be a disappointment.Building with something like the 817's,Eddie 2-4 bbl intake,and the right cam and exhaust will result in a more enjoyable power plant.

Last edited:

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
don, my goal is to give the anchor some pep, not wanting to dump a lot of big busks into this ride...350-400hp is fine by me...dual carbs will bring with it tuning issues...my thought was the edelbrock heads and intake would produce the power and torque that I am looking for...most of my rides are roller motors but this car is getting a slightly hot hydraulic cam...keeping it simple on this ride...none the less, I still have the question as to whether the dual plane intake will fit under the hood...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
What head do you have now?Edelbrock also makes both single and dual carb intakes for both the large or small port heads,and yes,they'll work under the stock hood.Given that the Eddie heads will cost you 24-2500 dollars a set,unless you're planning on a large inch [4in.stroke] build,you can go with the 333 truck heads,pocket ported and larger valves or the 817 with stock valve sizes and bowl porting for less than half that.If you went with a 409 crank[bolt in],a set of the iron heads as above mentioned,a set of K-B Icon forged pistons and longer replacement rods[6.385],an Eddie single 4bbl. intake with a carb of around 750,and a Comp cams from Show Cars[pn 0951]flat tappet hyd,and small tube headers will easily make 400 plus hp,and torque that'll put a big grin on both your face and wallet.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
don, I have no ideas as to what's in the motor now...I'm finishing up the balance of the car and will then proceed to tear it apart...what you've recommended sounds just about where I want to be...I'd like to eliminate the iron heads to save a bunch of weight and have a good flow out of the box...once I see what I'm working with I'll be writing down the suggestions and asking a whole lot of questions...your confirmation that the high rise edelbrock will fit under my hood helps me out significantly...thanks don