1959 El Camino Rear end

59apachegail

Well Known Member
I came across a 59 El Camino with what looked like an original big block setup. It had the shorter fan shroud bolted to the original radiator engine was not a 348 but it was a more modern big block. Does anyone know what type of rear ends came in those trucks? The rear end that it had did not have any bolts on the back like the 10 or 12 bolts you see on other trucks. It did look a lot beefier and was somewhat oval shaped. Google was no help so I ask the experts.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The 59 Elco had the same rear end as your 59 Impala,Jackie.The gearing might have been different,but that's about it in stock form.Look at yours,then compare.That rear could have been changed to an Olds/Pontiac or maybe even a Ford 9inch ,but we'd need pictures to be sure.

59apachegail

Well Known Member
Thanks Don, I wanted to take some pictures but it was some old parts cars (3) in the weeds and I was scared of getting bit by something. They all had the same rear so I am thinking it was stock?

What I saw was no bolts at all on the back just the drain plug. The axel tubes were a lot thicker and the pumpkin was bigger and more oval. It won't be soon but I'll try for a picture next time I go there.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
s-l500.jpg

This is one from a 56 vette from ebay, the vette had the same rear end up to 62.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The answer to both is yes.The OLDS/Pontiac rear is heavier and stronger than a 9in,but is older and harder to find parts for.If either rear was swapped into that truck,it likely has a posi in it.Why would anyone go to the work and expense to install a big block,and upgrade the rear and not run a "posi" of some type?

Last edited:

62BillT

Well Known Member
If what you have is original and not a Posi, for a stock set-up, you could either find a Posi Unit or yes, you can convert a Non-Posi to Posi with a kit from Eaton.

59apachegail

Well Known Member
Thanks for the input guys! I went back and more than one Elco had the same rear diff. Sorry about the crappy shots but it was best I could do with my phone

Attachments

• IMG_3492.JPG
    IMG_3492.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3498.JPG
    IMG_3498.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 14

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
They're both stockers,the same basic thing that you have now.They might have a little deeper gear ratios than you currently have,but that will be it.