1959 El Camino SSR convertible! What Chevy SHOULD have built!

impalamike.com

Supporting Member 1
I just read that: Quintal had to narrow the body of the El Camino eleven inches up front and seven inches in the rear

bobs409

Administrator
Sorry. I see nothing appealing about that. 59-60 El Camino is one of the best looking vehicles ever made.

I'd have to agree with that. (but I'm more of a purist myself) The roof up shot doesn't really look right to me. It almost looks like a roof someone cut off one of these cookie cutter new cars, too rounded.

Why mess with styling perfection of an old car?

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I also think the rounded roof doesn't work all that well with the more squared off lines of the El Camino, but I think overall, it came out pretty good. The guys who built it obviously have some skill.

I've always thought the windshield, and maybe the roof of the El Camino looked too high. There's something about the top of the windshield that looks awkward. I think the El Camino's windshield is higher than normal. :dunno
If I had one I'd probably try to use a windshield from a 59 convertible, it looks a little lower,,, then chop the top to that lower height. :hide

zzzc.jpg

zzzv.jpg

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Neat concept, but I think it would've been better executed using a roof that's more in line with the style of the '59. The SSR roof is just too round. Could've possibly used the SSR folding mechanism geometry, but fabricated appropriately shaped parts for the '59 style and width.

There's a gallery with a lot of photos on the builder's website.
http://www.superridesbyjordan.com/f21853336

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
That is a beautiful 59 convertible:love:love:love

I don't like the SSR roof on the Camino. Too round. Chevy did it pretty good the first time. Maybe a little shorter windshield like Jim mentioned.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Leave the 59 top on it get rid of the cheese grate grill and the funky outside mirrow's .

bobs409

Administrator
And the wheels, and the cheesy 90's bowtie grill emblem and the hidious mirrors and probably anything else he changed... Need I go on? :D

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
:yuck So, is this a 1959 Skyliner wannabee? The black stripes look hideous, on this car. The grille looks like a JC Whitney custom. The paint looks fabulous. I think Chevrolet got it right, the first time.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't like the modern wind tunnel sloped windshield on the old body style, like some of those vette and camaro conversions where they use the modern cars to make an old one, it just looks wrong. But the amount of work that went into that car is impressive and it looks well done in pics.

The SSR was a great running vehicle but I never liked the styling, everything was too round, reminded me too much of the old 50's Studebaker trucks, kinda different yes, but homely.

In 59, that Elco stock roof would have looked pretty low, compared to the cars like the tri five's or the non Impala 58's and 59's. That's a big body under the cab and the look has stood up very well for 55 years. It's still the best looking El Camino, IMHO.

Don

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
:yuck So, is this a 1959 Skyliner wannabee? The black stripes look hideous, on this car. The grille looks like a JC Whitney custom. The paint looks fabulous. I think Chevrolet got it right, the first time.
I thought the grill was from a Corvair.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I agree with most everything said above. I'd never do that to a '59, BUT if GM had started from scratch (not from a real car) and built this design instead of the SSR (like the thread title says) I think that would have been cool. Definitely looks better than the SSR does in my opinion. For me the real killer to the SSR is that it was severely overweight!!!! 4,800 + pounds!

People go on and on about how powerful the newer cars are.....and the 430+ hp from the Camaro SS, but neglect to mention that because of the ridiculous weight they are barely quicker than the last generation was with 100 less hp. (98-02 SS with 320 hp could run very low 13's stock.....new ones run high 12's to low 13's)

Got off topic, but it just bothers me!!!!