1959 quarter panels

fastcars

Well Known Member
I need help on finding out what kind of hartop car I need for as parts. I have a 1959 Convertible Impala and someone cut the passenger quarter panel off. If it was this easy, I wouldnt bother writing here. When they cut the quarter off, they cut if from the middle of the license plate all they way to the passenger door. The door does not have anything to lock to now and the trunk just dangles to that side. I'm hoping someone here can tell me what kind of parts car I should buy that will fix this. I'm thinking a normal "bubble top" 59 impala or full size car but the guy that has the car at the moment, said I would probably need a 59 "post" car. That guy has a bubble top for parts and said if I wanted to cut pieces from the hard top, I could. I'll try to attach pictures of the car so you can get an idea. Thanks for you help.

Attachments

• 59 full car pass.jpg
    59 full car pass.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 59 cut door.jpg
    59 cut door.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 60
As far as the lower, outer quarter panel (from the top edge of the fin on down and from the door pillar back), one from either a 2dr ht. , 2dr sed. , or convert should work (2dr wagons and El Caminos are different). GM parts books from 1960 lists these as all the same replacement part number. I'm guessing that the panel across the back should be the same as one from any 2 or 4 door 59, except wagons and El Caminos, but this is just a guess :? (I've never been around converts before). Same thing on the door jamb post and latch area, I would guess that it would be the same as a 2dr sed. or 2dr ht. But, this is just a guess also. :dunno As far as the inner structure, I don't know :dunno but a 2dr ht. would be a good place to start. If you can, compare and measure the driver's side of the convert to the driver's side of a 2dr ht. to see how close it is. The top of the fin of a 2 dr sed. would probably be a closer match than a 2 dr ht. (sedans and converts use the same trunk lids, I think).