1959 radiator.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Nor am I. I don't know either. Maybe look at some of the bigger vendors who sell Chevy parts. See if they list separate stock numbers for different year radiators. If someone had an older Hollander Interchange book, that would be nice, Carmine.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It will bolt in, will it cool enough you would have to run it to know. I ran the 409 with stock 283 rad in the 59 and I think I used the original 283 fan shroud, no problem but I wasn’t running it a whole lot in temps above 80f or in hot stop and go traffic. I don’t live in AZ.

My theory is that some W’s run hotter than others, some will work fine with a stock rad, some will need all the help they can get. I’d try it as is, add W fan shroud if it runs hot, then change rad if needed. It’s easy to change out the rad and fan shroud so no need to rush into it IMHO.

I bought a “409” rad and have an original W fan shroud in my 63, I also run the idiot light and a mechanical temp gauge.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Seems to me that a stock 09 runs with less heat than one that has been bored. Any stock ones out there with their experience?

I didn't like the way the coolant flowed on my stock radiator with the intake straight above the outflow. So when I had the radiator at the shop I had the intake moved to the other side. My car had a small block shroud with the fan in the correct place and it never has problems. Can't recall, is 3 row stock?

Last edited: