1959 Turbo LS build

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here are a few pics of my Olds/Pontiac rear that my help and also the rear cross I spoke of in my previous post.

Olds Rear End 1.jpg Olds Rear End Upper Brackets Front.jpg Olds Rear End Drivers Upper Bracket.jpg Olds Rear End Fit 1.jpg Olds Rear End Fit 3.jpg

Attachments

• Olds Rear End Upper Brackets Front.jpg
    Olds Rear End Upper Brackets Front.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Olds Rear End 1.jpg
    Olds Rear End 1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Olds Rear End Drivers Upper Bracket.jpg
    Olds Rear End Drivers Upper Bracket.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Olds Rear End Fit 3.jpg
    Olds Rear End Fit 3.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Olds Rear End Fit 1.jpg
    Olds Rear End Fit 1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 6

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Theres a couple guys locally that have 4200 swapped cars with small single turbos. One is in the 11's with mph for the 10's. Everything is bone stock save for the turbo injectors and fabbed intake/exhaust manifolds.

My first thought was no but after giving it some thought, I can see where it might be a really smart way to go.
The price is right and an inline six leaves plenty of room for a turbo.
Sure, the V8 is more traditional and has more power potential but it looks like those 4200's can make around 500hp with good reliability and street manners.
Here's a link to one in a Firebird...
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1108_turbocharged_vortec_inline_six/

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Thank you for those pictures tripower! Neither of my '59 cars have the cross member that goes all the way across for the extra upper.

When I add it should I make it like factory (on an angle) or square it off and have the extra axle bracket parallel to the passenger side? Seems to me like I can kind of do what I want at that point and it shouldnt matter much as long as I have the axle bracket put where it needs to be.

The nice part about the 4200 is there are local guys who own/tune them and get the factory ecms to run standalone with a modified factory harness. Even better yet is there are several 4200 swappers that are members on other forums I am on.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thank you for those pictures tripower! Neither of my '59 cars have the cross member that goes all the way across for the extra upper.

When I add it should I make it like factory (on an angle) or square it off and have the extra axle bracket parallel to the passenger side? Seems to me like I can kind of do what I want at that point and it shouldnt matter much as long as I have the axle bracket put where it needs to be.

I would try to find one out of a 60'-64'. I have one if your interested PM me.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Look what I found today, cheap. Like scrap prices cheap. For sure has a blown head gasket. I will find out what other surprises will be in store for me upon tear down.

4200.jpg 4200 2.jpg

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I dont know what that is????????
What engine is it, never seen one here

Steve

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Trailblazer/Envoy. The recessed holes on top are the spark plug/ignition coil wells. Good trouble free engine. My neighbor changed his plugs for the first time at 190K:eek1. That is the only maintenance that engine has ever had.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
WTF:laugh
Sorry Dan, never heard of this engine, 4200 is that a cubic capacity i.e.4.2Litre??
What are they out of

Cheers

Steve
Steve,
You must be looking at it upside down or from the underside....:poke. Leo explained above...

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Cracked ring land #6. Think this will become a mock up engine, which is perfectly fine.

These engines are almost true hemis.

4200 3.jpg 4200 4.jpg

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
All the cylinders were pretty heavily scored for only having "125k" unless someone drove this thing like a race car, cold and never did oil changes.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
All the cylinders were pretty heavily scored for only having "125k" unless someone drove this thing like a race car, cold and never did oil changes.
Good chance that is what happened. Someone probably didn't understand the term power curve and did lots of red line shifts as well.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd agree,lack of maintainace,running around with the "check engine" light on,basicly treating it as an appliance,rather than an engine.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'd agree,lack of maintainace,running around with the "check engine" light on,basicly treating it as an appliance,rather than an engine.
More then likely did't have a valid drivers license or picture ID either and voted for Obama...:doh Oh crap is that what you call racial profiling...:hide

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Or they pumped in a tank of E85 into a NON "flex fuel" vehicle and thereby ran it extremely lean. There is only one E85 station in town, and when people saw that it was 10 to 20 cents less than regular, they started putting it in everything. I saw a lot of engines ruined with it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally against E85.....it was just the ignorance of people putting it into the wrong thing.
I am totally against the fact that there is 15% ethanol in almost all the gas you can get these days. I have a few places to get "pure" gas from, but it is about 30 cents higher.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Donor engine and trans arrived today.

2000 4.8/nv-3500. 130k miles. Super clean. 2nd owner truck. You can see how I got it cheaply. Been back and fourth with the guy for a couple weeks. It didnt sell for what he wanted and just said you seemed most interested, come get it for 800 tonite.

Its no 6.0 ls with a turbo or 4200 but it should be fun with a cam and still get good mpg. The 4200 idea kind of went out the window seeing as I couldnt find a wrecked one like this truck. Looked at a few but they thought they had gold. Even if I dont use this engine and trans I should have no problem parting this out and making money. 2000 silverado.jpg