1959 Turbo LS build

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You can keep the drivetrain and EVERYTHING you might want or need off that truck, part out what's left and still make a good profit. I'd bet you can keep that stuff and get at least $1600 out of what's left.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Rockers are rotted and bed has started. Remember im in MI, salt the roads capital of the USA.

Engine and trans are very nice though. I plan to put the seats in the old mans '66 c10 come spring as well.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ahhhh.....didn't think about that. Still a very good buy at that price and even if you just scrap the rest you'll still get at least $250 for weight. I bet you'd be surprised how well a lot of the smaller parts would sell though. Interior trim pieces, tailgate handle and bezel, switches, door latches, sunvisors, catalytic convertors (probably $80+ right there), etc.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would be weary of putting too much power to the NV3500 transmission, especially if you end up with good traction. When I used to participate in S10 forums, a lot of users (some of them much less responsible than others) would complain about the durability of their manual transmission after adding forced induction in their 4.3l. Most likely, the engines were producing close to 300 hp. I don't know many were trying neutral drops from 4000 rpm either.
Granted, this isn't my experience. My '98 S10 has an NV 3500 transmission and I have no complaints about it.

Just wanted to pass this along since I thought you were looking to get some serious power from your engine.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Thinking im gonna run the nv3500 and see what happens! Car was originally a stick and it needs floors anyways. I think the NV3500 is under rated. The older s-10 nv's are different than these internally. Theres a few people out there in chevy truck land running them making 350-400hp to the tires. So long as I dont drive it like an idoit and jamming gears I think i'll be fine. The car with this engine and trans combo should be 700-1000lbs. lighter than the truck. If I do blow it I'll build up a 4l60. 4.8's dont make a lot of tq, especially at lower rpms.

The general consensus with these 4.8's cam only should be around 400-425hp at the crank, 350-370tq.

Last edited:

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Not sure how different the 59 would be from a 61, but I'd say about 3700 pounds without a driver for a 2 door sedan (wasn't that what you have?) with a small block.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Not sure how different the 59 would be from a 61, but I'd say about 3700 pounds without a driver for a 2 door sedan (wasn't that what you have?) with a small block.

Yes 2 door sedan. Thank you. Looks like I was real close. Hopefully an ls with a stick will be even lighter yet.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Does anyone have a real world weight of a 1959 with a full interior and a SBC?
I'm guessing it should be around 4000 or under.

A while back Cecil turned us all on to the General Motors Heritage center. (Thanks Cecil!) A lot of great info there. You can download the Vehicle Information Kit for your model year and it will include answers to almost anything you could want to know about your car as it came from the factory!

Go here: https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html

Drop down to Chevrolet and look for: Chevrolets (All Models Not Listed Below) Show

Click on the Blue Show link

Drop down until you find 1959 Chevrolet and click on that.

;)

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That's great stuff. Thanks for the reminder Dick and thanks for letting us know about it to start with Cecil!

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Thank you Dick!

Now I have to decide if I buy a "kit" to mount my engine and trans or piece one together.

I have factory v-8 frame stands off my parts car. Was thinking about buying the adapter plates for the motor mounts and fabbing my own cross member. OR

This looks like a well sorted out kit and I like the adjustability on the trans cross member for the potential of an automatic down the road: http://www.brphotrods.com/products/58-64 B body products/index.html

Few reviews about those kits around the internet and the ones I could find were for a-bodys.

Drove the engine donor vehicle too. Decided to fix it and drive it for the winter seeing as gas is so much cheaper than diesel at the moment. Plus gassers warm up a lot faster!

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Decided I'll bite the bullet and buy the $500 brphotrods "kit."

Found my desired wheel and tire combo:

Attachments

• 1959 4 door belair wheels3.jpg
    1959 4 door belair wheels3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 48
  • 1959 4 door belair wheels2.jpg
    1959 4 door belair wheels2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 49

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Neat car to see on the road in India, those are wide rear wheels on it.

Don

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The big n littles look real good. I like the red top. would really set it off.:beer

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
That right hand drive throws me for a loop!!:scratch:rub Very nicely done ! That 59 Bel-Air MORE DOOR sedan is AWESOME .
Best of luck with it.:clap:clap:love:love
:crazy :cheers

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
That black 4dr. is really nice. It pulls off the 4 door somehow, '59's look terrible as a 4 door.

An online discovery! This is the same car as mine all original, colors, trim, options engine etc.

skalla59x4.jpg