1959 Turbo LS build

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Just stopping in to say hi to my x-frame friends. Working like crazy. With our winter weather summer is go time for me work wise. Havent done much to my car with other projects getting in he way + work.

Biting the bullet on the 9in. I purchased an 8.8 cheap, but by the time i'm done a 9in. will only be a few more 100's and I wont have to drive all over town to get it narrowed and have brackets put on it etc.

5.3 and th400 is in the car, kind of. I have to take the oil pan off and figure out if an f-body or swap pan will clear.

Slowly but surely.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just stopping in to say hi to my x-frame friends. Working like crazy. With our winter weather summer is go time for me work wise. Havent done much to my car with other projects getting in he way + work.

Biting the bullet on the 9in. I purchased an 8.8 cheap, but by the time i'm done a 9in. will only be a few more 100's and I wont have to drive all over town to get it narrowed and have brackets put on it etc.

5.3 and th400 is in the car, kind of. I have to take the oil pan off and figure out if an f-body or swap pan will clear.

Slowly but surely.

Everyone says the F-body pan is the only factory pan that fits without hanging too low. I always wanted to try the '10 to '12 or so CTS-V pan. From looking at pictures it looks like it would be okay too. I've never read where anyone tried it in an X-frame. When I mocked a bare 5.3L block up with the truck pan it cleared everything fine but hung a couple inches below the crossmember.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
I had time today to play some more.

I ended up using my factory SBC frame mounts and factory SBC motor mounts with adapters. The truck pan does not clear the cross member (to low, about 2.3" clearance). This thing sits low and way back. 3/4" clearance to the firewall seams (which is what I want).

I emailed show cars to see how far their th400 trans cross member moves the trans mount back. No reply. Guess I'll have to call.

Thinking about purchasing this 9" off egay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Inch-Ford...59|Make:Chevrolet&hash=item33782b1167&vxp=mtr

Debating on 31 or 35 spline axles. It seems like I have way more options with 31's for posi units. And frankly I dont think I'll ever put enough power through this thing for 31 splines to be an issue.

Thanks for all your guys' input on this forum, especially yours 1961.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
$_12.jpg The Showcars TH400 crossmember puts the mount approximately 6" back from the stock PG/3spd/4spd location....which also works for TH350's. I think you'd be better off to just make your own in your case.

This one from BRP (Ebay seller id brewer68) looks very simple to duplicate and adjustable for different set-backs and transmissions.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Quick up date. Got my show cars th-400 crossmember and f-body oil pan.
Pan clears with about 3/8" in a couple spots. I "dimpled" the cross member with a BFH so its a little larger than 3/8" now.
The showcars cross member is a really nice piece. Glad I just spent the $100 on it. I'd have more than $100 in my time making one so its a no brainer. I will have to slot my trans mount holes a little further forward, but my LS is as far as humanly possible to the firewall. In fact I may have to dimple the firewall a bit for more clearance (on the passenger side).
The good news is I have 13" from the top of the firewall to the valley cover of the 5.3. So I have a ton of room for any induction I choose.

All said and done for my engine/trans mounts and oil pan I have about $500. The brp kit would've been $500 plus the pan, another $300.

Now on to the fun stuff. Floor pans, toe boards and measuring everything to make sure the body structure and frame are straight.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Saying hi to everyone. Havent touched my car AT ALL since my last post in this thread.

Have since purchased a house and got bit by the mud truck bug pretty bad.

I put the 5.3 in a 1978 chevy truck with 1 ton axles on tractor tires. It will eventually get 4 linked and the turbo its set-up for.

I also purchased a 2006 trailblazer 2wd with the 4200 I-6. Its going in this car. I have to be different and im tired of "race cars." I just want a nice cruiser. Yes im getting older.

Last edited: