1960 Drip Rail and Back Glass Molding Removal

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just joined this site a couple of months back and have learned a great deal sifting through these message boards. Started the tear down on my 60 2 door coupe a couple of weeks ago that my father bought in 1986. I have a question for some of you that may know how to best take off the moldings mentioned above. My father has restored several 59 and 60's but has always just left these parts on the cars. I have read post after post on this site and on ChevyTalk about removing these but I am still worried about bending the drip rail moldings and especially the front pillar piece. The front pillar piece wraps around so far I am afraid to start pulling and prying. Also how is the molding on the top side of the roof and above the back glass come off? I know that the front comes off with nuts and studs on the stainless. Is there clips? Are they the same on side and back? And what kind of technique and tool is best? Thanks.

Brandon 348/320

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The link below shows the tool needed to remove the chrome on the back window and I think the top chrome piece on the windshield. I think 60's are the same as my 62's for clip locations on stainless chrome around the windows. The vertical pieces by your vent windows I think are attached with screws -maybe behind the rubber seals by the vent windows.
Its easy to dent the chrome if you don't know how to use the tool. I have glass guys who know how help me.
Another solution is to cut the windshield/rear glass rubber with a very sharp cutter, assuming you are installing new rubber for the front and rear glass(cutting the rubber is the best way -least damage to the stainless trim).
http://www.lategreatchevy.com/chevy-rear-glass-removing-tool-stainless-steel-1955-1972.html

These are the type of clips you are trying to release on the chrome trim. Make sure you make a drawing of the location of all the cliips (use only new clips to reinstall the trim )
http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-size-chevy-window-reveal-molding-clip-set-rear-1958-1965.html

For the drip rail moulding you start at the front or back with a scraper on the bottom side, prying and pulling a foot at a time. I had someone ((my body guy) show me the first time, again you can bend or damage the stainless drip rail during removal.

In order to get a good paint job all these chrome pieces should be removed.
Paul

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Brandon, Like Paul said, cut away as much of the rubber as you can before you start searching for the clips. The clips on my all original glass '62 windshield were buried under gray rope caulking that GM used to pack in there. They were a royal pain in the azz to unhook from the stainless trim on top of the ws. Make sure that you have the GM shop manual for your car. It will show the clip locations and what the tools look like. I was able to fabricate the hooked clip tool shown in the manual and it worked fine. Good luck, Leo

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the help on the drip rails and top side stainless removal. Got those off with a little bit of prying. I will add that the removal of the windshield pillar stainless was helped by heating the piece up with a heat gun slightly to soften the black tar that was underneath. Going to remove the pieces above the back glass and windshield this week. Thanks again.