1960 El Camino build

Rpj

Just to add to all the posts I have made today, here is some pics of my 1960 El Camino build.
This has a 454 (now 468) 5 speed tremec, 9" and full ridetech tubular suspension. Its in the panel shop now being painted an orange candy and has a full leather interior made by Ciadella to go in.

Rpj

I've bought a set of headman headers part no 68186. Its on airbags so i needed something that went outside the frame so hopefully these work well. Its pretty hard to purchase aftermarket parts out of a catalogue send them up to the top of the world and actually have them fit properly! I've found a lot of aftermarket parts work well with stock parts but not in combination with other aftermarket parts. I.e. My ridetech tubular control arms work with the stock spindle, but not with 2" cpp drop spindles so its a bit hit and miss and i cant realistically send anything back!

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I've bought a set of headman headers part no 68186. Its on airbags so i needed something that went outside the frame so hopefully these work well. Its pretty hard to purchase aftermarket parts out of a catalogue send them up to the top of the world and actually have them fit properly! I've found a lot of aftermarket parts work well with stock parts but not in combination with other aftermarket parts. I.e. My ridetech tubular control arms work with the stock spindle, but not with 2" cpp drop spindles so its a bit hit and miss and i cant realistically send anything back!
We run airbags on the 60 with 2 1/4 system right through. Under chassis at front all ok. Not much room but can be done.
Then again I wanted the car to sit on original bumpstops when bags empty. You can still drive around.
Not interested in scraping the sills
Steve

Rpj

Sorry typo in my post, i meant i wanted headers that went under the chassis right behind the front wheels so the whole exhaust was higher than the front crossmember (not outside the frame like i said in my post) my car isnt really that low now that i am not using the 2" drop spindles but i just dont want to be scraping the exhaust on the ground so the headman ones looked like a good choice. Haven't fitted them yet.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Sorry typo in my post, i meant i wanted headers that went under the chassis right behind the front wheels so the whole exhaust was higher than the front crossmember (not outside the frame like i said in my post) my car isnt really that low now that i am not using the 2" drop spindles but i just dont want to be scraping the exhaust on the ground so the headman ones looked like a good choice. Haven't fitted them yet.
Cool
Where in nz are you.

Steve

Simon

Well Known Member
Awesome ride. What was the issue with the 2" drop spindles? I too have brought the Ridetech airbag front end for my 59 Belair and CPP drop spindles and about to fit.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The issue I had with 2" drop spindles and Air Ride lower control arms are the steering arms clearing the big ass press in ball joint.