1960 Impala 348 tri-power

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great video. I think you will be wanting to change that fan shroud though. SBC

1960impala283

Well Known Member
The sbc shroud is on the list of things to do, as well as the upper rad hose and blue spark wires. It's far down the list however, driving it again is top priority now, it's been off the road too long. This fall I hope.....

1960impala283

Well Known Member
The 1959 Mercury 55a is on my 1958 Feathercraft Vagabond. I plan on towing the boat behind the Chevy. Should make a good pair. I have another Mercury Mark 55 that I am going to paint to match the car. I already painted the boat trailer to match. Need to make a trailer hitch for the Impala still.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A buddy of mine has a bunch of old outboards, some from the 20's or 30's and several Merc 55's, long and short shaft. Are mint condition Merc 55's wrth anything? He has some that have the Kiekhaefer models, parts, and several Mercury engine stands.

Don

1960impala283

Well Known Member
Mercury cast iron stands go between 300 and $500, Mercury 55's tend to be between $150 and $1500. Tough sell above $800, and have to be really nice. I've never paid more than $500. I have $1000 invested in my 55a after full cosmetic and mechanical rebuild. 1958 and older are more in demand than the later ones. 55H models are the desireable motors (hydroplane short mid section, with quickie lower unit). 55H can be up to $2500 or so.
20's and 30's motors can be from worthless to priceless depending on what they are. Most are less than $500 when fully restored. Outboard collectors tend to be a frugal bunch, having no spend thrifts in the group.

Lynn Davis

What paint did you use? and can you tell me a little about your engine, I am about to assy. mine but havent decided on a cam grind yet. Im @ 10.5 to 1 and will be doing the three commode set-up like you are running

1960impala283

Well Known Member
I used two part automotive urethane over epoxy primer. RM Limco brand. Applied wet on wet on the block and heads, but I sanded and primed the valve covers a couple times to make them smooth. I didn't want the paint to peel and age like rattle cans do. Perhaps I should have put a little flattner agent in the last coat to tame down the shine a bit, but that's a matter of taste. Peeling paint always looks like crud.

1960impala283

Well Known Member
Show Cars 9.5:1 and small Isky. Just reliable cruiser power. I'm installing a trailer hitch on the 60, It's going to be the tow vehicle for my other toys. My next "W" is getting forged and roller combo, won't be so tame.

Lynn why not start an engine build thread? Some of the more experienced builders would have good recommendations for you.