1960 Impala - 409 5 speed - Header Options?

Wilson1

Well Known Member
Can anyone give me some advice on a good header option for a 60 full size with a 5 speed, stock bell housing?

I know I can always use the shorties, but if there is a good, well fitting full length header option I sure would consider it. They are going to go on a motor Jack will be building for me. I am open for any and all ideas...

Thanks,

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
What size [how many cubic inches] engine is Jack building for you? Is it going to have a roller cam that has the 4-7 cylinder swap in the firing order? If it's an engine with less than 420 or so cubic inches,and it has a cam with the standard firing order,the Dougs Tri-y header would be really good,and they reportedly fit well.

Wilson1

Well Known Member
Don, I am just going to have Jack build a 409 CID motor. We haven't talked about a 4-7 swap, but I don't see any reason to go that way. I do that on my drag car, but don't see any reason to do so on a street car.

Never heard of Wilson, but Googled them. I assume they are in Roswell NM? Don't seem to have a web site.

I send Jared Jardine an email but haven't heard back. I know he was having a hard time with his wife and his web site isn't up any more. He built me a set of zoomies for my Altered a couple of years ago. He does nice work, but it took quite a while.

Thanks for the Show-Cars link... I will check them out..

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jardine had a really bad run of bad luck and his web site is no longer registered.
I'm sure he and the shop are out of business.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Does your Stahl 2 headers go thru the fender wells (or are separate)? I checked out the web site, looks cool!
I haven't fitted yet but I think cyl 7 and 8 still do go through the wells. The old design had seperate flange joins for 7 and 8. Other members might have some photos of them installed in our cars.

Wilson1

Well Known Member
I received a reply from my email to Jerod Jardine. The good news is that his wife is doing well after the second transplant. The bad news is that he isn't doing headers anymore. He still has the Jigs for the 409 stuff but by his own admission they weren't quite right. He said about 50% of the applications would have issues and he never figured it out. I am sorry he isn't in the header business anymore. The Zoomies he made for my race car were top notch with excellent craftsmanship. It is great he is moving on with his life and is happy.