1960 Impala Build

Dougs60Chevy

Supporting Member 1
March 23 2017 - Today I got the shift linkage installed with some guidance from member nana1962409, who suggested I might use a slightly shorter trans mount. I was having trouble getting enough clearance between the shift linkage and the tunnel. Clearance is still tight even with the shorter mount, but it clears. I had to beat the tunnel out a little with a hammer. I'm loving seeing that shifter sticking up through the floor, even though I will eventually want to run a more stock-looking shifter.
2017_03_23_3.jpg

Dougs60Chevy

Supporting Member 1
The 348 RUNS for the first time in 40+ years! I hooked up some really basic wiring for the starter and ignition, we shot it full of starter fluid- and it didn't take long to hear her run in short stints. She'd run as long as I kept the starter fluid coming. Quite loud since there is no exhaust system, just manifolds. Quite smoky too! It made two oily patches, one beneath each exhaust manifold. We tried hooking up the fuel pump, but the pump was dead. Gotta get a new pump. Sure was great hearing her run, gives me motivation to keep working on the old girl.

Dougs60Chevy

Supporting Member 1
I found a fuel pump I had laying around and decided to install it on the 348. Check out my fancy fuel tank feeding the new pump.
full

HERE is a link to a video of me testing the new fuel pump. This is the first time the motor ran for more than a second or two. I blocked the throttle open about halfway, hit it with starter fluid, then hit the button on the remote start switch. It took me by surprise when the fuel pump kicked in and the motor revs way up. I had no way to kill the motor other than to disconnect the battery. Kinda freaked me out since at this point I had not even revved the motor up at all. Also, it is running with no cooling system so I didn't want it to run for long.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sound like things are coming along quickly now! It's a nice looking project and should be a lot of fun when it's done!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Good for the heart when they rev up like that with open exhaust.

I used a 1.5 inch high tranny mount, how tall was the one you got from Napa?

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Nice build! Looks like 2 projects going on. A 64? :) Not to be a downer but you might want to reconsider that shiny paint on the top of the dash. The glare will be horrible on the windshield.

I was kind of thinking that when I painted my dash. Hate to repaint mine.

Dougs60Chevy

Supporting Member 1
Well, I thought I was going to be able to install my driveshaft today and test clutch linkage, shift linkage etc, but NO DICE. New slip yoke won't fit through the frame tunnel. Didn't see that one coming.

This morning I took my drive shaft in to have my TH400 slip yoke installed. Turns out the yoke I had was damaged where the u-joint cap would seat. The shop had a good used one so I bought it and had them press it on with a conversion U-joint. Then when I got it home and went to install it in the car- the yoke won't fit through the hole in the frame. I knew the new yoke was beefier but would never have guessed it might not fit through the hole. My old one fit just fine. So, now I have to figure out the right yoke to purchase and where to get it.
yoke.jpg

Dougs60Chevy

Supporting Member 1
Yeah that's a good idea. - if I knew anyone that did machine work, I might have tried that. The driveshaft shop is ordering another yoke for me, should be in today. Hopefully I'll have a functional driveshaft here in the next day or two.

Dougs60Chevy

Supporting Member 1
Driveshaft is now installed with a yoke that fits through the tunnel hole. I filled the ST-10 with GL-4 I ordered from Summit. I had to fill it with a small Mityvac, took forever! Now I am fighting clutch linkage. I have linkage that came with the car but I have no idea if it's correct or not. I ended up making a lower rod and removing the over-center spring- I think it will work after I make a place to attach a return spring of some kind.
linkage.jpg

ghetto.jpg

Dougs60Chevy

Supporting Member 1
APRIL/MAY 2017 well I got the driveshaft installed and hooked up some very basic brakes, steering, a kill switch. Adjusted my clutch linkage as best I could. Fired up the motor and the trans would not go into gear. Turned the car off, put it in gear, left clutch pushed in and bumped the starter- the car moved. So, the clutch was not disengaging. I took the motor and trans back out of the car. I removed the trans from the motor, loosened the pressure plate, reinstalled properly this time with an alignment tool. Examined and measured pilot bearing diameter and depth. I also installed an adjustable pivot ball to help with adjustments. I moved the fork about 1/4" closer to the clutch, seems to help the linkage. This time when I put the trans into the motor it slipped right in. I think it was binding before. We will see!

Dougs60Chevy

Supporting Member 1
Here the '60 is outside basking in the sun. She hasn't been outside in years. She's been in my shop, next to other projects being worked on. So she's covered in 10 years+ of sanding/grinding dust. Here's a shot post-wash job. Cleans up pretty good and now I'm pondering leaving it this color instead of painting it black as planned.
outsideforwash.jpg