1960 Impala Convertible dates and codes

Rpj

Hi everyone,

I have several 60 projects, 2 of them i want to keep original and am looking for information as to the range of date codes the engines, transmissions and any other parts should be to keep the cars as original as possible as both had their original engines removed before I bought them.

1960 Impala Convertible
Vin: 01867B114816
Cowl:
STYLE60-1867 BODYLA6793
TRIM 2 PAINT 910
ACC 3-P

The second owner of the car told me he bought the vehicle in 1980 and it was an original 348 with powerglide. The fuel line and emblems on the car support this statement.
He unfortunately removed the original engine years ago and replaced it with a 283. The car still has the original powerglide.

Ive used the Vin and Cowl decoders but cannot confirm the following:
-The Vin shows Baltimore but the Cowl tag shows LA. This looks odd but is it possibly something specific to convertibles?
-The Cowl tag has no date code suggesting it is an early build as date codes on the cowl apparently started being used in Feb60. This appears to match the 114816 being an early vin number. I will get under the car to find the date code on the transmission. I need to locate a 348 engine and want to keep the dates as correct as possible. Are there any rules to follow, i.e. Do the engine and trans dates usually correlate at all, i.e. Both built within a month of each other or is there no relationship here? Are head and block dates usually within a week or two of each other?
-The cowl tag has a trim code of 2. This isnt listed anywhere, does anyone know what this is?
-The cowl tag has an acc code of 3-P. Again, not listed anywhere. What could this be? The car does have a padded dash so i suppose that could be the P part. (Although every website i look at says PAD for the padded dash)

Rpj

Pictures of car in LA before shipping to New Zealand. Car is currently in storage waiting for 1960 El Camino build to be completed.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Where are Steve and Gav when we need them?

Very nice car and it looks like you've done your homework on the information available to you so far. I'm no expert but will try to help as much I can and will address your questions point by point as you presented them.
- Convertible bodies were built at Lansing and shipped to final assembly plant, in this case Baltimore.
-Your assumption that the car was an early (before Feb) build is correct. Your best bet for narrowing the build date is to find dates on as many other components as you can and lining them up for a mini-max range. If the original PG is there then it should have a date and should be unique to 348 powered applications. In short, the 348 PG was a heavy duty unit and was essentially the same as Corvette PG except for the tailshaft housing which on the Corvette had the shifter mounting boss. The converter had 33 bolts vs the 283/6 cyl 's 18 bolts.
On top of the converter housing should be a round plastic plate which is white for the 348, blue for all others.
The rear axle has dates and application codes, if the glass is original it should be date coded, voltage regulator is date coded and should have only the top mounts bolted with the lower mount hole filled with a rubber bumper on 348 installations. There are more clues in the wiring harness and battery cables.
Engine/trans/ rear axle dates should normally be within 6 months before body final assembly. Regular production 283 and 6 cyl engines can be dated as close as the same day (unusual but possible and documented) but normally within 2 to 4 weeks before final assembly. Optional engines like the 348 could have a larger spread and HP/ SHP engines could have an even longer spread as they were not ordered nor built at the same rate as the standard production orders.
-The trim code 2 is an abbreviated trim code used on convertible bodies and is trim code 852, light and medium blue.
-3P Again you're right on in that should be padded dash. Different plants used different codes for Fisher body modifications so you might see 3P, IP, PAD, INST or some others I can't recall. In you car's case 3 is a column on the Fisher Body computer punch card and P is the code for padded instrument panel.
Love the Horizon Blue, don't see that color very often.

Last edited:

Rpj

Thanks Cecil, this is very helpful, i will get back under the car and start looking for the other dates and items to confirm it definately was a 348. i am thinking of keeping it the original colour when restored, it is a very nice blue