1960 Lower A-arm disassembly ?

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Have my car completely torn down and getting every part into the blast cabinet. I cannot figure out how to take the bar(what is this part called on the upper and lower a-arm?) out of the a-arm. I was able to drill out the rubber bushing on both the top and the bottom one. The bar(?) in the upper one came out easily after I removed the old bushing. The bottom one will not slide over enough because it has a raised area and will not slide into the hole. Does the metal ring(?) around the holes, need to be pressed out or something? IMG_2995.JPG IMG_3002.JPGIMG_3003.JPG

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I never have done this before but by the looks of that I could say with some conviction that the bushing needs to be driven out.

de31168

Well Known Member
That metal ring is the outer sleeve of the bushing and does need to be knocked out. Your new bushing will come with it attached.

A word of caution when doing the lowers, because it has 2 holes it is pushed through, it will try to collapse them and get into a bind when knocking it out, and it will try to spread them and put it in a bind when going in. Find a block of wood or a short socket to stick in between the 2 metal edges of the control arm to help knocking it out.

02-08-11_2051.jpg

Last edited:

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the info on this guys. I wish I would of saw that video earlier. I'll try to get the ring out of the lower ones this weekend.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have been using a piece of tubing cut in half(looks like the letter "c"). Cut to the width of the gap between the inner and outer walls of the control arm. A tight fit is better to hold it in place and keep the control arm from collapsing. If I am not worried about originality, I will weld the piece of tubing in place for a permanent support.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Stuck my camera under the car and snapped a picture of the support I welded in the lower control arms.control arm support.JPG
I don't have to worry about the control arm collapsing or pinching together removing or installing the bushings. I also use an piece of angle iron between the bushings as in the posted video.