1960 Manual Steering Gear Rebuild or Replace

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OMG, check out the old Honda motorcycle in the back of the IH! How many of those did we have when we were kids? Cool.
I am to young to have had one of these when I was a kid. Hard to tell by the image but this not a Honda but a 1967 Suzuki S32-2, 150 twin two stroke. They were the same period as the Honda Dreams and other similarly styled moto's.

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well....I am definitely old enough that I should remember them. I was the National Warranty and Customer Relations Manger for US Suzuki Motor Corp. from 1974 to 1984. Totally fun industry, every year was cutting edge technology. The factory race teams were next to my office area. Got to meet them all, Mark Blackwell, Roger Decoster, Joel Robert, Terry Vance.... Times were a LOT simpler.

I looked really hard at the photo of the bike in the IH. Could be a Suzuki, but maybe that emblem is a Yamaha.
anyway, motorcycles are way fun, I still have one, and maybe someone will bring me an old 305 Honda Scrambler for my birthday....

Chip

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
No problem, I thought that may be the case. This model was called the Olympian. Not terrifically fast but fun. I purchased it out of Michigan tore the top end off of it. Had a solid bottom end so I bought a set of NOS cylinders pistons and rings. Tidied up the carbs and magneto/generator/starter. It runs well. Just love the sound twin two strokes.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well....I am definitely old enough that I should remember them. I was the National Warranty and Customer Relations Manger for US Suzuki Motor Corp. from 1974 to 1984. Totally fun industry, every year was cutting edge technology. The factory race teams were next to my office area. Got to meet them all, Mark Blackwell, Roger Decoster, Joel Robert, Terry Vance.... Times were a LOT simpler.

I looked really hard at the photo of the bike in the IH. Could be a Suzuki, but maybe that emblem is a Yamaha.
anyway, motorcycles are way fun, I still have one, and maybe someone will bring me an old 305 Honda Scrambler for my birthday....

Chip
I had 3 305 Honda scramblers and sold them all to a buddy about 15 years ago, I wish I would have kept the 67, I had a 66, 67, and a 68.

Junky

Well Known Member
Just finished replacing lower control arm bushings on the drivers side, and left the right for the next winters project. Had the alignment done today, and since I know that everything in the steering is tight, that leaves only the steering box. That is now added to my next winter projects, to rebuild the spare steering box, and then install it. Seems like I will never be done fixing things on this car!!!

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just finished replacing lower control arm bushings on the drivers side, and left the right for the next winters project. Had the alignment done today, and since I know that everything in the steering is tight, that leaves only the steering box. That is now added to my next winter projects, to rebuild the spare steering box, and then install it. Seems like I will never be done fixing things on this car!!!

Are we ever really done ?

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hoyt99, I have a GS1000SN I bought new. Also MT 50, RV125, GT550, TS 185s, LT250Rs

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I had a friend that had (3) of them. ( 72, 74, 75) We made a little fun of them, because they smoked. :rolleyesBut, they were pretty kool bikes.:clap