1961 “Biscayne” Steering Box

Recks

Hi guys! I have a 1961 Pontiac Strato Chief, Canadian spec car, same as a Biscayne / Impala for what we need here. I’ve done a engine swap, front disc conversion. The car is great but the manual steering is extremely vague, bordering on unsafe. I’ve replaced all tie rods, pitman, etc, no issues there. The problem is the stock manual box is worn beyond repair. Has anybody swapped in a quicker ratio box, say 16:1 out of a 2nd gen Camaro? Any suggested options to make the steering less vague? Will a 525 box bolt in and use the same pitman? Any experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got a 59 el camino that had been creatively modified...works great but isn't near factory...it has a saginal 605 bolted to the frane and what appears to be a camaro or nova power steering pump on the block...works well...

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I use a 20:1 "power" box without the assist ram. There is no difference in the boxes other than the ratio. I'd probably prefer 16:1 but this is too easy. Got it from Lares Corp. When you get into other boxes, you may start to encounter radiator clearance issues too.

Recks

I’ll check out those boxes. I have a thicker rad than stock so good to know.
Original doesn’t concern me, the engine swap was an LS lol.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Vague steering, what do you have for front tires, very wide and very low profile? Also, the box can be adjusted to tighten it up, has that been done? Sway bar and other bushings replaced? The original steering in good condition is not vague.

Don

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
You need to find the post where I've been fighting to get a better box on my 61. I finally gave up on the 800 box and bought a CPP500. Now I don't have room for a steering pump so I wound up with an Alan Grove set for a Chevelle, it sets the pump higher. You have a different set of issues with the LS, I have a big block.

Recks

Don; all new bushings all around, new ball joints. New tires; BFG Radial T/As of course! front: 215/60/15 rear; 225/60/15.

Last edited:

Recks

I’ve adjusted the box as well. Gotta be careful with that though as too tight can cause damage.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds like you have pretty normal tires and good everything else, you need a rebuild on the box. With everything done right, the car should track down the road with little to no steering input.

These cars tend to float unless you stiffen them up with bigger sway bars and heavier springs, do you have a lot of play in the wheel I assume?