1961 409 SS Barrett-Jackson Member?

Old School

Supporting Member 1
I'm at the Barrett-Jackson auction ( I'm not a bidder!) and found this 61 SS 409 Convert. The only 409 car here BTW.. It sure looks legit.. Does this one belong to a member?

61-1.JPG

61-2.JPG

61-3.JPG

61-4.JPG

61-5.JPG

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

Wrong shroud, eb9A wrong placement, wrong shifter, wrong tach, wrong pedals, chrome under hood, on and on. If it is even a real one, there is lots that needs to be corrected.

Kevin

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Wrong fuel pump, blue spark plug wires, painted (cast iron????) intake.............oh, and dual spot lights????? I would have my doubts. Red stripe in the side is wrong too.

Look for John Darby.....Sprint Cup Director. He was out at the shop last Thursday and he said he was going to the Las Vegas BJ auction.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Not-so-real 1961SS?

Chrome valve covers? Not sure about the air breather. Wonder if it has the correct scintered metallic brakes?

I do like the look of a 1961 Convert, however :). Especially in Black over Red.

Despite all the non-SS indicators, it is a very nice Impala convertible with a "W".

It would be interesting to see the trim tag and the block and head numbers...

Cheers,
TomK

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Did you write down the trim tag info? I would be interested in what it says.:deal

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Not only wrong generator Rusty..............but it's mounted to a 409 alternator bracket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
What is on the under side of the hood? Looks like Rhino Liner???

Old School

Supporting Member 1
I may go back there today. If so, I will sneak a photo of the trim tab and block numbers.

I took a close look at the SS badging on the trunk and the chrome work on the badge looked old and with the correct patina for it's age. The seller claims to be only the second owner.

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Update

I went back today and BJ folks were all over this car making inquires about VIN numbers and other details. Appears they were having some problems with it...

I took some more photos and looked a little closer at the motor. It looks like a 64 340 intake and a 64 cut down fan shroud as well
:?
Who knows, maybe someone form BJ reads this forum..

ss61-1.jpg

ss61-2.JPG

ss61-3.JPG

ss61-4.JPG

ss61-6.JPG

ss61-7.JPG

ss61-8.JPG

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Another one!

Here's another 61 SS 348 car at Barrett Jackson.. This one looks like the real deal...

red61-1.JPG

red61-2.JPG

red61-3.JPG

red61-4.JPG

red61-5.JPG

red61-6.JPG

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks for posting these pictures Old School!!!!

I had a high up muckey muck from GM call me today wanting to tell me about this car. I had the advantage of seeing your pictures first!!!

348stroker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK Phil, you have our attention.:) :) Can you tell us what the call was about ??? :?Anything???:dunno :roll :roll

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks like there are numbers on the pad, but I can't read them. The trim tag looks like a 936 paint code for white (hard to read, but looks first character can only be 9 and the second character is a 3 which could only be 936 or 938), and it looks like some white showing on the firewall where it is chipped...No ballast resistor that I can see. Body assembly looks like 3B or second week of March at Janesville. I don't know that the actual starting date for the SS option is known for sure, but that might be a tad early.:dunno
Without some documentation, I am very skeptical and so should anybody else be before plunking down big bucks over regular market for a 61 convertible with a 409 engine.
What's up with the power steering hose as a brake line off the MC?:scratch

No409

Supporting Member 1
maby its just me, but are those the correct pedals for those cars?
im used to 63-64 pedals, those look to square to me

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ronnie Russell your right

I went on the Barrett Jackson website the car is lot 661 it has a 1963 409 motor.

They also have a red 1961 convertible 348 lot 674 pretty car both will be up for auction today let's see what the fetch.

Yesterday lot 345 1962 327/300 HP fetched 39K just think if it would've fetched if it had a W motor:)

Happy motoring:)

Ted