1961 409

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Those truck valve covers kinda let me know it most likely isn't the real deal.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Decent old car but definitely not original engine compartment. Besides the truck valve covers Tommy already pointed out, I see truck exhaust manifolds and who knows what carbs.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Am I correct in thinking 61 409's never had dual carbs and I don't think the add ever said it was the original motor and if it was it would be more than 35k

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Am I correct in thinking 61 409's never had dual carbs and I don't think the add ever said it was the original motor and if it was it would be more than 35k
You are correct on all accounts although the big port heads and the 2x4 set up was available in June of 61 but I don't think there has ever been any proof that any left the factory in cars. Cecil might have something on this.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Early 61 fuel lines entered the carb from the front, late 61 entered from the left rear like the 62s. Of course we are talking about single four barrel motors.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
All 2x4 carbs were small throat with front fuel inlet. All single 4 barrel 409's were big throat with rear drivers side inlet.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Cecil,
You are correct about the dual carb motors. The early 61 409's had front inlet carbs and they were small throat carbs, at some point they switched to the large throat, rear inlet carb.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
No previous mounting area for tach sender and can't see the ballast resistor. But could it be a QB?
Robert

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil,
You are correct about the dual carb motors. The early 61 409's had front inlet carbs and they were small throat carbs, at some point they switched to the large throat, rear inlet carb.
Tommy,
The only evidence of the small throat carb, probably a 3012, on the early 409 is the article in one of the magazines of the day and it's not clear that it was ever used in production. It could have been just placed on the test car to ensure a tamer running engine for the reporters test drive as suggested by the author. All documentation I've seen indicates that the big 3270 was the intended carb for the engine from day one, but it's always possible that the carb wasn't in supply yet at the beginning of production so the 3012 could have been used until the 3270 was available.
Maybe Verne has more on this.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Tommy,
The only evidence of the small throat carb, probably a 3012, on the early 409 is the article in one of the magazines of the day and it's not clear that it was ever used in production. It could have been just placed on the test car to ensure a tamer running engine for the reporters test drive as suggested by the author. All documentation I've seen indicates that the big 3270 was the intended carb for the engine from day one, but it's always possible that the carb wasn't in supply yet at the beginning of production so the 3012 could have been used until the 3270 was available.
Maybe Verne has more on this.

I'll check with him. I based my thoughts on pictures from old magazines and Colvin lists the 3012 and the 3270 carbs. My late (May) motor had the original carb and it was a 3270

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I believe the 3345 replaced the 3270 in late 61 about the time the 690 heads and 2x4 carbs came out. It may have been used only on the QA engine but it might have been used on the Q engine also very late.

Richard Martin

Well Known Member
I first saw that "WZ" car about 7 years ago. At that time the car didn't have the two-tone dash and the cowl induction was very crudely made with the air duct attached to the firewall with "Home Depot" looking sheet metal screws. Over time the air cleaner assembly has changed at least 3 times. According to Chevrolet's Heritage pdf website as of Feb '61 the side insert trim of shadow gray cars was painted white.

Richard

Last edited:

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Tommy/Cecil in the documents I got from our Tonawanda source indicates 10-409/409 engines were built at the end of the 61 production run. While they were complete engines there is no indication they were ever shipped to a plant for vehicle installation as you indicated Tommy.
Somewhere I picked up that they were shipped to the big name racers of the day. This coincided with the info Chevrolet sent to NHRA to alert them the engines were available so they could be run. All the letters are dated, I can get if interested. Anyway, since they are basically the 62-409/409 Chevy just released them a few weeks early.
While I do not have any paper trail and I have shared this before, I think the combination of 068 block, 690 heads and pre-881 intake is very likely one of those engines. All of the casting dates are within 7 days. The intake with the pre-881 casting number has a casting date of 6-1-61.(got this from Cecil, thank you)(block from Tom K).

Anyway, the mystery continues.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Pat,
I agree that the 2x4 409 engine was available in June of 1961. However, the car in question is NOT one of those historical vehicles. The WZ car is a poorly restored, pieced together example of somebodies attempt to deceive people.