1961 Aluminum radiator

MoboMac

Well Known Member
Prolly need to upgrade my original style 2 core.....and found a "china brand" aluminum 4 core on Ebay.....for $200 shipped.....with a 5 year warranty.......sounds good...but I'm skeptical.....

Anybody here tried one......or do I TOFTT?

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Had an alloy radiator in Lu states car for 8 years now with no probs. No name brand.
Just make sure all of your earthing is good and the radiator is well earthed to tye car.
Warranty would depend on who is offering the warranty.
Steve

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Make sure it is guaranteed to clear your steering box. A 2 core will fit easily, a 4 core might hit. I had to modify a Champion 4 core to get clearance.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My '62 came with a '68 327 engine and a thin looking radiator which I assume was stock. Also had a shroud. I bought a 409 to install and decided to change out the radiator. Bought a 2 row aluminum with 1" tubes. Cut the shroud back and installed the radiator. Runs all day in hot weather at 180 degrees which I'm very happy about. Guess it might just be the right combo of everything. I do get lucky on occasions. I believe I bought my radiator at Auto City Classics. It dropped right in. All welded. Not sure about any warranty. It's been over 2 years and no problems yet, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
^^ Get the one Models posted. Great price and works just as good as the $700 Griffin I have.
I agree in part with this thread. I don't think you have to spend top dollar on a radiator to get the same results from a less expensive one. You just have to make sure you compare apples to apples. I recently bought a Cold Case aluminum radiator for my '71 GTO. I think I paid about $359.00 for it. Great radiator. Made in America. Direct drop in. No modifications. No regrets, but I probably could have found it's equal for about $100.00 plus, for less. Not sure why I didn't check other sources/vendors, but I didn't. So, that one is on me. As long as it continues to work, I'll have no complaints. But, you should check around. There are some deals out there that will serve your purpose and not cost a fortune, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Okay.....I thought more is better...'splain please?

The whole point to an aluminum radiator is increased fin surface area. Because you can make an alum with much larger 1" tubes the fin surface area is much greater then a copper/brass with 1/2" tubes. Fin area is what cools the water. Theoretically too many tubes in an alum radiator blocks air flow so an alum radiator is considered to be optimum with 2 - 1" rows not 4 of the small tubes. How ever I have personally used the 3 row version and it worked extremely well, I wouldn't trust a 4 row alum. $200 delivered is about par for the lower cost aluminums. I would buy the one Models listed.

MoboMac

Well Known Member
OK.....Thanks for everybody's input.

I pulled the trigger on a 3 row (welded tube) with the square tank......$115 shipped.

I like the one with rounded top tank.....and can see that one going into one of my other cars...

Will report back once it's installed....and running..

Just curious what paint can be used ....on tanks and mounting brackets?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The whole point to an aluminum radiator is increased fin surface area. Because you can make an alum with much larger 1" tubes the fin surface area is much greater then a copper/brass with 1/2" tubes. Fin area is what cools the water. Theoretically too many tubes in an alum radiator blocks air flow so an alum radiator is considered to be optimum with 2 - 1" rows not 4 of the small tubes. How ever I have personally used the 3 row version and it worked extremely well, I wouldn't trust a 4 row alum. $200 delivered is about par for the lower cost aluminums. I would buy the one Models listed.

Good explanation Mike. I was wondering about that myself. Thanks, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Haven't had an issue with the Eastwood paint on the bare alum. I do scuff the tank. I would be cautious of also using a primer as it will increase the insulation value of the paint and could hamper cooling.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
If you are going to prime aluminum, make it zinc chromate and it will stick. Boat dealers have cans of it.

Cayneman

Well Known Member
Yeah a $115 radiator will have all kinds of quality. When you deduct the shipping your paying about seventy dollars for a radiator made in China by small children.
Good luck when it shits the bed on the roadside.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yeah a $115 radiator will have all kinds of quality. When you deduct the shipping your paying about seventy dollars for a radiator made in China by small children.

Just goes to show you how badly we've been ripped off by lazy workers that want $100,000/year, 3 weeks vacation and don't do shxt when they are at work.

MoboMac

Well Known Member

I have numerous cars.....and haven't won ANY lotteries lately.......

I really need to get the best bang for my buck.........Assuming that a BECOOL radiator IS actually made in America.......Classic Industries wants about $1500 plus shipping.... for what I need...

and THAT....is just NOT in MY budget......SO....I'm gonna have to roll the dice.....and take my chances on the $115 unit made with slave labor......

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I put a $100 radiator in my buddy's 55 about 5 years ago. No problems to date. Look at the problems someone on here had with the Show-Cars Griffin radiator on fit.